Mini bikes

LoganClark2000

Nov 27, 2023
Hello. I’ve been thinking about getting a Coleman or a mini bike for scouting and for season later on this year in d15 since they are relatively cheap. I have a rwd truck and there’s a handful of sections my truck can’t get up on main divide because of the loose gravel. I figured a mini bike could be a good alternative to getting around that road. I was wondering if any of you guys had experience with them or any recommendations on mini bikes that do well uphill? Thanks!

Clutching can be a little funky on them. If you find one for a good deal you could try it out, if not, sell it.

A small dirtbike with real gears might do you better also. Xr80 or similar if you want something small/easy.

Clutching can be a little funky on them. If you find one for a good deal you could try it out, if not, sell it.

A small dirtbike with real gears might do you better also. Xr80 or similar if you want something small/easy.
I was going to try out the Coleman that’s got front suspension just not sure if it’ll make it up fine. Do you know of any dirt bikes I can find used for around 1,000-1,500ish

check out the Honda trail 125, I haven't seen one in person but it looks like it would work good. I have an Ebike and the only issue with it is the hills kill the battery and loaded down with gear makes it worse.

Reactions: LoganClark2000
keep in mind it is not legal to ride a mini bike on public land. You need to be on a registered OHV. You would also have to make sure you have a spark arrestor which is a hefty fine. I mean you probably can get away with it but in this day in age electric is a safe bet.

Pocket bikes/Mini motorcycles​

A pocket bike is a two-wheeled motorized device having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider, that is not designed or manufactured for highway use. A pocket bike does not include an off-highway motorcycle, as defined in CVC 436.

• Operation permitted on private property only.
  • Illegal on highways, sidewalks, bikeways, and hiking or recreational trails.

E bikes unless designated are not allowed on pedestrian trails

Whereas: California Code of Regulations (CCR) tit. 14, § 4360 states, “Unless designated by the Department, all trails are open to pedestrians and closed to all other uses.” This regulation prevents bicycles, to include e-bikes, on trails unless otherwise designated by the Department through a superintendent's order.Aug 24, 2021

keep in mind it is not legal to ride a mini bike on public land. You need to be on a registered OHV. You would also have to make sure you have a spark arrestor which is a hefty fine. I mean you probably can get away with it but in this day in age electric is a safe bet.

Pocket bikes/Mini motorcycles​

A pocket bike is a two-wheeled motorized device having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider, that is not designed or manufactured for highway use. A pocket bike does not include an off-highway motorcycle, as defined in CVC 436.

• Operation permitted on private property only.
  • Illegal on highways, sidewalks, bikeways, and hiking or recreational trails.
Dang that’s unfortunate. I might just look for an e bike then. Last thing I want my first season is some citations haha. Thanks for the input.

E bikes unless designated are not allowed on pedestrian trails

Whereas: California Code of Regulations (CCR) tit. 14, § 4360 states, “Unless designated by the Department, all trails are open to pedestrians and closed to all other uses.” This regulation prevents bicycles, to include e-bikes, on trails unless otherwise designated by the Department through a superintendent's order.Aug 24, 2021
I read this and called the ranger district and they told me the same thing but said that I was all good to ride the roads I asked them about, just not the trails, so I should be all set

I was going to try out the Coleman that’s got front suspension just not sure if it’ll make it up fine. Do you know of any dirt bikes I can find used for around 1,000-1,500ish

I'd punch "Honda XR" into facebook marketplace and craigslist. They are air-cooled and dead reliable.

That said, you can rent E-Bikes. That may be a good option to try out first.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu