Missed 'em

8SteelTown

Went to a spot this morning looking for some coyote (first pic) and called in yote to 460 yards. He perched up and wasnt coming any closer. Used my BDC and THWAP'd him. Flopping like a fish out of water. Fired off 2 more rounds but was high. By the time I got down there, nothing to be found but a little blood and a bunch of mud squirts. Looked for 2 hours and nothing. Pretty gnarly terrain. Went to another spot (second pic). Called in a nice redhead from 600 yards. Came the whole way down the path on the steep hill. Stopped and was looking up right where I was. 247 yards down the canyon, missed just over his shoulder. He was booking back up the hill, fired, led him too much. 2 more shots as he squared back around to look for me. Missed high. Hard to reference the BDC distances and zooms with my adrenaline flowing. On a positive note, I took a cottontail at 30 yards with a headshot (Gamo). Damn rookie.

1st shot from the rock, down to where I was standing.
null_zps385b23fa.jpg

2nd location. Shot down to the bottom.
null_zpsccb4debf.jpg

Cotton
null_zps1b4397bd.jpg

Thats the name of the game! Good to hear someone is getting out and doing a little hunting!

SoCalGuidedHunts said:
Thats the name of the game! Good to hear someone is getting out and doing a little hunting!

I hear you. Hard enough to make them show up. Operator error. Got an SCGH pro coming up to show me how it's done with one of those new pure predator calls. Going again tomorrow to hopefully get this skunk scent off me.

8SteelTown said:
SoCalGuidedHunts said:

I hear you. Hard enough to make them show up. Operator error. Got an SCGH pro coming up to show me how it's done with one of those new pure predator calls. Going again tomorrow to hopefully get this skunk scent off me.

Just a tip, but I hardly EVER move my 3-9x40 off 6x zoom. I don't have all that fancy BDC stuff on my cheapo Simmons but 6 power is enough to see what's way out there. With yours set on 6, learn the yardages and adjust from there. A ballistics table with corresponding ammo should give you an idea on hold over/under if need be. But usually the drop between, say, 200-250 is rather minute. A little Kentucky windage and you'll slam them.

Hopefully we can get you on one this weekend. I'll just have to sit directly behind you. That way if you blow the shot on one I can thump you on the head!

Hopefully we can get you on one this weekend. I'll just have to sit dnirectly behind you. That way if you blow the shot on one I can thump you on the head!

Lol a little hand holding

Pressures on bud

I'm getting one a.s.a.p. going tomorrow morning and ill have to check your advice on staying on a power. I ended up using 9x almost the whole time.

8SteelTown said:
I'm getting one a.s.a.p. going tomorrow morning and ill have to check your advice on staying on a power. I ended up using 9x almost the whole time.

For bdc to work I believe it has to be on 9, am I correct? But I never take mine off 5. Killed 100's of yotes on that power

TaftHunter said:
8SteelTown said:

For bdc to work I believe it has to be on 9, am I correct? But I never take mine off 5. Killed 100's of yotes on that power

Told ya! Too much fiddling around and you'll never put bullet to fur!

Taft, it works on any power zoom but the chart differs and the distance ratios change depending on your bullet (obviously). Here's my current chart.

null_zpsb6e143d9.png

SoCalRebelHunter said:
You shooting a 200 yard zero? 6x looks like it gives you plenty of reach!

Yeah I'm a 200 yard zero. I had it on 6x all day today and it was plenty. The hard part is how minimal 200 yard center vs 300 yard first drop. Very minimal allowances. I'm over analyzing it and over compensating which is why I was high on every shot IMHO. We'll talk about it this weekend.

Sdbirds said:
No over thinking aim squeeze

You're right. Too worried about missing the shot. My first experience shooting a rifle at something besides paper/steel. Ill get there. Thanks.

Cool weekend of hunting with my buds Nick and SoCalRebelHunter. We found some pretty sweet locations. No dogs bit but it was a good time.

8SteelTown said:
Cool weekend of hunting with my buds Nick and SoCalRebelHunter. We found some pretty sweet locations. No dogs bit but it was a good time.
null_zps750108e9.jpg

Killed a few dogs from this spot. Haven't been out in a while though.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu