Missed....

Sep 26, 2012
On Labor Day, I was lazy and slept in. I got up to the mountains at about 2:00, and decided to check out one of my stand-by spots. The game trails looked pretty good, so I sat down and waited. Thunder rumbled, and after a while, it started raining on me. But I stayed, because it was still warm. When the ground was good and wet, I decided to do some still-hunting. There were large turds and good trails all over the hill. When I got around to the back side of the hill, I think the wind swirled and a deer concealed by heavy brush busted. I couldn't see it, but it was only yards away.

Fast forward to yesterday evening. I went back to the area, and since it's been raining, I still-hunted again, but went even slower this time. The wind wasn't exactly favorable, but whatever. Again, when I got around the back side of the hill, I saw 3 deer trot off. Then another! I think the first 3 winded me at quite a distance away. They were only trotting though, not thoroughly spooked. The last one didn't move very far, and I stood there watching it for a bit before it moved away. I stayed still. I got out my phone to text a friend, and saw an email from a friend. I wrote a brief reply, and thought I heard something. I put the phone away, and it's a good thing I did- here came a deer...and another! Now there are 5...now 6! The deer had circled around and come right back to the same area! I had a doe ranged at 35 yards and was about to draw down on it when they scattered all around me. They stopped in a semi-circle around me at distances from 15-40 yards. Yearling does and a spike, a couple does...and a buck! It looked like a decent forkie. The doe at 15 yards was eyeballing me hard for about 5 minutes, then rejoined the group. I ranged the buck at 35 yards, drew back when he went behind a tree, and let one go when he came out. I rushed the shot though, and missed low. They were gone. I waited for a bit, intending to check the arrow for blood, but the buck came back! He was moving somewhat quickly though, so I ranged a tree at 50, drew when he walked behind it, and rushed another shot when he came out. Missed low again! I'm still kicking myself. He was probably at 55, and I didn't take the time to make sure I had the right pin, focus on my form, etc.

It's been so long since I last took a bow shot at a deer that I can't remember when the last time was! I have been practicing lately, but it's obvious that I need more.

I'm going back Friday evening and Saturday, so maybe I'll have a better report then!

Damn two shots... sounds like a good spot... patience is tough when your hearts about to jump out of your chest.. When i practice I sprint to the target and back and take my shots... so I get used to the blood pumping when taking the shot.

good story though... better luck next time.

The deer were back on Saturday morning. Walked right up to within 35 yards of my buddy. It was still too dark to see if there were antlers at that distance, due to conditions and foliage, so he couldn't take a shot. I'm going back up tonight to see what walks by.

sportyg said:
Oh no looks like you found my spot. what am I to do next season. LOL

El M and I hunt in the same spot. Have since my first day. 'Love' it there :)

cool stroy sorry the way it ended. Next year will be my first archery season. I hope i can get scouting early and often. I do have a question. can you hunt does with an archery tag? did you say you were going to draw down on a doe? "I had a doe ranged at 35 yards and was about to draw down on it"
can we hunt does with archery in kill-A-dreamfornia? I did look all over the deer hunting HTML file on DFW site.

Bro, 2 am is not being lazy. Driving now around 6 is lazy. Wanna get there about light. Sounds like you had a great day. Get another!

GSPman said:
cool stroy sorry the way it ended. Next year will be my first archery season. I hope i can get scouting early and often. I do have a question. can you hunt does with an archery tag? did you say you were going to draw down on a doe? "I had a doe ranged at 35 yards and was about to draw down on it"
can we hunt does with archery in kill-A-dreamfornia? I did look all over the deer hunting HTML file on DFW site.
A22 is split season either sex. See attached pdf
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=99578&inline

Thanks for the link looks like A31 and 32 are also! Those are my zones look out either sex next year for me. This story is inspetational to me.

Bonejour said:
GSPman said:
A22 is split season either sex. See attached pdf
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=99578&inline

Thanks for posting the answer, Don! Work keeps me from checking in as often as I should!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu