Missouri Whitetail Hunt 2022

BuckHunter

“Venison” It’s what’s for dinner!
Feb 3, 2011
Well I'm back in Missouri for another Whitetail BowHunt. Last year I shot a 80 inch 8 point, and my buddy Brian shot a big 135 inch 9 point, and Wayne shot a 100 inch 8 point.

This year Brian could not go so I hit up Brandon and a few others. No takers , so I brought one of my oldest hunting partners, my wife. She's hard core and can keep up with the boys but the trip costs me double. She has 4 bucks and a doe under her belt and all with her bow so she knows how to get it done.

The hunt started Saturday morning. I was in a treestand about 18 feet up with a good view of a scrape . I had 2 does and a spike come by on the morning hunt and saw a big 8 point at 90 yards at last light. We came back to camp to see a doe hanging in the barn that Wayne shot.

Day 2
I moved stands to a location down by a creek and farmers field. The field was plowed so there were no hiding spots out there . The deer would move back and forth in my treeline. I sat in the stand all day and had 3 huge Tom turkeys come under me. I started texting to find out if it was turkey season....... it is and I have a permit but too late, they're gone. That's ok it's not why I'm here. The evening hunt I saw a handful of does and a huge 8 point that my wife had seen in the morning with bleach white antlers. He was at 140 yards.

Day 3
Back in the stand . The wind was all wrong blowing on my back . I had a young doe come from behind and walk under me and bed down to my left. 30 minutes later I hear a loud snort wease behind me. It was so aggressive. I turned slowly to see a 10 point buck at 48 yards stomping his feet. No shot. He blew 3 times and was pissed. My heart was pumping hard , and I told myself to calm down and get your shit together or you'll blow this. It was 10:30 now and my wife was texting me to see if I was done for the morning. I replied, Nope. Buck here!
He was with his own doe and wouldn't leave her. They calmed down and bedded. Every 10 minutes they would stand up, move 3 feet and bed again. I was standing up in the treestand facing backwards holding my bow for an hour. I ranged every tree and ran every possible scenario. I wanted to move my video camera to the back but didn't want to make extra noise. With no notice they both jumped up and ran. But stopped just after 20 yards. It's go time. I see their path and range again to make sure. 43 yards. He walks out into a small window and stands broadside with his head behind a tree. I release and hear it punch through the lungs. Unique sound when filled with air. He ran 60 yards up a small hill and stopped and looked back. I looked in my binoculars and could see blood coming out of the exit hole. The hit was a little high . Despite the huge hole in his chest he was still 100 percent focused on his doe. She soon ran up up the hill to the top and he followed. She didn't stop and he wouldn't leave her. I got help and we blood trailed for over 600 yards. It was a long sleepless night. Waiting for daylight to go back out.

.Screenshot_20221107_205154_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20221107_204617_Gallery.jpg20221107_132343.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm back in Missouri for another Whitetail BowHunt. Last year I shot a 80 inch 8 point, and my buddy Brian shot a big 135 inch 9 point, and Wayne shot a 100 inch 8 point.

This year Brian could not go so I hit up Brandon and a few others. No takers , so I brought one of my oldest hunting partners, my wife. She's hard core and can keep up with the boys but the trip costs me double. She has 4 bucks and a doe under her belt and all with her bow so she knows how to get it done.

The hunt started Saturday morning. I was in a treestand about 18 feet up with a good view of a scrape . I had 2 does and a spike come by on the morning hunt and saw a big 8 point at 90 yards at last light. We came back to camp to see a doe hanging in the barn that Wayne shot.

Day 2
I moved stands to a location down by a creek and farmers field. The field was plowed so there were no hiding spots out there . The deer would move back and forth in my treeline. I sat in the stand all day and had 3 huge Tom turkeys come under me. I started texting to find out if it was turkey season....... it is and I have a permit but too late, they're gone. That's ok it's not why I'm here. The evening hunt I saw a handful of does and a huge 8 point that my wife had seen in the morning with bleach white antlers. He was at 140 yards.

Day 3
Back in the stand . The wind was all wrong blowing on my back . I had a young doe come from behind and walk under me and bed down to my left. 30 minutes later I hear a loud snort wease behind me. It was so aggressive. I turned slowly to see a 10 point buck at 48 yards stomping his feet. No shot. He blew 3 times and was pissed. My heart was pumping hard , and I told myself to calm down and get your shit together or you'll blow this. It was 10:30 now and my wife was texting me to see if I was done for the morning. I replied, Nope. Buck here!
He was with his own doe and wouldn't leave her. They calmed down and bedded. Every 10 minutes they would stand up, move 3 feet and bed again. I was standing up in the treestand facing backwards holding my bow for an hour. I ranged every tree and ran every possible scenario. I wanted to move my video camera to the back but didn't want to make extra noise. With no notice they both jumped up and ran. But stopped just after 20 yards. It's go time. I see their path and range again to make sure. 43 yards. He walks out into a small window and stands broadside with his head behind a tree. I release and hear it punch through the lungs. Unique sound when filled with air. He ran 60 yards up a small hill and stopped and looked back. I looked in my binoculars and could see blood coming out of the exit hole. The hit was a little high . Despite the huge hole in his chest he was still 100 percent focused on his doe. She soon ran up up the hill to the top and he followed. She didn't stop and he wouldn't leave her. I got help and we blood trailed for over 600 yards. It was a long sleepless night. Waiting for daylight to go back out.
That’s a nice buck, hope you find him!

No news is bad news.
Looked all day with no luck. I've replayed it over and over. I think the shot was high lung. Bright red bubble blood. I haven't lost a buck in many years but it happens to everyone. Property owners will keep looking for him and mail the rack to me if they do. But it's not the same.

After seeing the exit hole with blood pumping out I just can't believe he traveled that far.

Flying home empty handed tomorrow.

• Sad
Reactions: ilovesprig
Whitetails are tough. A couple years ago I clearly double lunged a buck and watched him sprint 500 yards across a bean field before he dropped in the woods on the other side. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. I am so glad I didn't have to track him... it could have been a nightmare. Bummer. Put it behind you and learn. Ed F

Reactions: BuckHunter
Deer are some tough SOBs! That's a feeling most of us have had, but none of ever want (again). Hopefully the farmer finds it!

Whitetails are tough. A couple years ago I clearly double lunged a buck and watched him sprint 500 yards across a bean field before he dropped in the woods on the other side. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. I am so glad I didn't have to track him... it could have been a nightmare. Bummer. Put it behind you and learn. Ed F
Thanks Ed. Stud buck you got in Nebraska. I'm jealous.

Here are some pictures from the trip and a few buck pictures from the successful guys.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221109_191719_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221109_191719_Gallery.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20221109_191545_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221109_191545_Gallery.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20221109_153107.jpg
    20221109_153107.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 23
  • image000000(6).jpg
    image000000(6).jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20221109_191314_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221109_191314_Gallery.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 23
  • 20221108_201601.jpg
    20221108_201601.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20221108_123811.jpg
    20221108_123811.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20221108_135429.jpg
    20221108_135429.jpg
    620.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20221108_114808.jpg
    20221108_114808.jpg
    467.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20221108_120018.jpg
    20221108_120018.jpg
    630.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20221106_035925_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20221106_035925_Facebook.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 24

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu