Modern technology?

GatorBait

Sep 2, 2015
A buddy of mine told me about an app he has for his phone that has up to date maps and utilizes GPS without having service. I do not remember the name of the app, but I'm assuming with the advances in today's technology it's probably true. I am just wondering if anyone else uses anything similar. I would like to find an ap worth toying around with. Lol

Yes and It's amazing. download Onxmaps for iPhone or Android. It works really well on my Galaxy Note 4 because that phone has a stand alone GPS, so I literally do not need any cell service. the app is free but it is only free for a one week trial. It will cost you $35 for the California premium for a one year subscription. If you go to their website you can get it $5 bucks cheaper. Let me also clarify something, you will need to download the particular grids of the map before you get into the field. this is called "offline caching" the reason is because the app will not be able to scroll through different layers and maps when you are out of cell service. So look at where you are going to go, download those areas onto your phone with the layers that you want it to show, and when cell service runs out it will show you your location against the map background you have chosen to download. you can set custom way points, mark tree-stands or bait stations, it shows private property and also gives names of the land owners, it also shows deer zones and California condor range section. Absolutely badass app. I would use this over and expensive Garmin or Magellan that does the same thing. Just make sure your smart phone has the capability of a stand alone GPS. Most do now, not sure how well it would work without it. Cant rely on cell service these days anyways!

check this video out on youtube. Hope this helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYhSf8GIa_8

I love my trimble hunting app on my tablet with stand alone GPS. i use it in my truck to mark and record all my stops and spots. I also take my tasblet with me while on short hikes or back packing new areas as well as a MAP of coarse.

its a very simple process. It does not have pre-loaded markers, so you just make them. on Onxmaps go to the mark-up menu, then select point, color, size, then under name it automatically fills the text bar with time and date. Just erase the text, type whatever you want, (bait station, tree-stand, blind, etc) and then touch the map to insert the point where you want then hit OK. In my picture I wrote "Access road". Then you can always use your GPS to find your way back to something. This is also useful if you pack out game. You can leave your heavy gear behind, tag it with the GPS, then take the game back to the truck knowing that you can still come back for your gear later. It's great!

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    684.9 KB · Views: 25
Sorry guys, I had a blonde moment. Discovered something way more bad ass. On the mark-up menu, there is a "symbols" tab that has tons of different icons for marking certain things. Mark stands, bait stations, closed/open roads, fishing holes, camp sites. ANYTHING!!

Attachments

• treestand.jpg
    treestand.jpg
    800 KB · Views: 31
Love how you can customize the layers and save maps for offline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you should mention bait stations a couple more times...

Maybe even show an example!

correct baiting is legal and with a name like Coyotekid i am pretty sure that is what he means.....

i like to bait with my neighbors yappy dog.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu