Montana archery elk hunt: update

Geappetto Hunts

Oct 12, 2019
OCEANSIDE
Just returned back from MT from my first archery elk hunt. This was my first time on a out of state hunt. First time hunting elk let alone an archery hunt. We hunted a few different locations. We hunted burns, glasses hillsides benches & draws, and put in miles on the boots, roughly 30mil the whoIMG_20200917_143107.jpgle trip. We were in good elk country (aka grizzly country) with lots of sign. Wallows, rubs, fresh tracks and scat. We bugled and cow called almost every 200ft of travel and only had minimal responses. The smoke in the state was thick which I assume was the reason the activity was slow? We ran into moose, bucks, cows and bear romping through the forest. Last day we called in a bull to within 15-20ft but between all the blow down and foliage my buddy never had a clear shot. The vocal exchange was awesome to experience first hand. The stud vanished from our sight just as quick as he came in. Even though we did not tag out I did not leave empty handed. The experience i got exploring the wild country MT has to offer and also getting past my fear of hunting in bear country is irreplaceable and leaves me longing for the next adventure. This is an experience I won't forget anytime soon. I will return next year.IMG_20200915_124038.jpgIMG_20200917_145817.jpgIMG_20200917_182437.jpgInShot_20200919_130958630.jpg

Last edited:
Geappetto,

Great write-up and pictures....I've been in Montana since last Tuesday....Till yesterday, we had not seen the sun...We even got a little rain...Hunting for upland birds has been the toughest I've seen here...Hoping with more normal weather things will change.

ps...Fewest deer I've seen as well (white-tail & muleys).

pss..What part of the state were you in?

Geappetto,

Great write-up and pictures....I've been in Montana since last Tuesday....Till yesterday, we had not seen the sun...We even got a little rain...Hunting for upland birds has been the toughest I've seen here...Hoping with more normal weather things will change.

ps...Fewest deer I've seen as well (white-tail & muleys).

pss..What part of the state were you in?
Thanks ilovesprig! I had a similar experience with the weather. It made hiking and glassing difficult. Eventually we threw glassing out the window and just tried to get in their kitchen. Lol

The very first day we drive to Ovando to shoot cranes. My buddy has some friends who own some ag fields there.

I was in Missoula but we hunted near Bozeman and then called an autible and drove to Wisdom.
Beautiful country, I just wish the visibility was better.

Good luck out there! What part of MT are you in?

Thank you...I'm in Cascade...Halfway between Helena & Great Falls on the Missouri River...We've had sun the last 2 days and a little rain...Hopefully, we've turned the corner.

.020.JPG

Last edited:
that section of the Missouri river is amazing. I used to have access to pvt dirt just north of wolf creek. :) not a horrible place

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu