Montana Duck Opener 2019

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Good grief...What a guy will do for 7 ducks...lol...I got up at 5:00 am to drive abour 62 miles to where I've been scouting...Early it was all rain on the drive, but by the time I hit Great Falls...It was 30 degrees and snow...Finally get to Benton NWR and I can't believe my eyes...4-7 trucks parked in each place you could park...WITW!...I thought Montanaians didn't fowl...lol...At this point, I decided to make the 40 mile drive to Freezeout...Dang, Same thing...I guess every...one thought this was duck weather...lol...Snow and wind are getting worse, then I get a call from one of the kids I meant during dove season up here...They walked a 1/2 mile to a secluded part of Freezeout...Then about 400 yds thru 2' of mud & 1' of water...They got their limits, but were gassed...I told them to walk to the nearest road and I would pick them up...Took them over an hour (nice to be young)...Cold & hungry, I suggested breakfast...They were all over that...lol...After eating, they headed home and I probably should've followed them...BUT!...I knew there were ducks still flying...Went back to a spot I like and low and behold, everyone had left...Weather has now got worse...24 degrees with a big windchill (30 mph)...What the heck...Just one bird to say I didn't get skunked...lol...Found a good tule patch and got ready...1st bird to fly by was a suzie...Got my one duck...The a few minutes later, a greenhead...Which sailed back towards the truck...So, I made the trek back and picked up the spinner...She's howling now and snowing like no other...Put out the spinner...In short order I bagged a greenwinger, a bluewinger, canvasback, widgeon, and another mallard...7 ducks for the old guy...lol

ps...The drive home was white knuckles all the way (1 hour drive, took 2 1/2)

.024.JPG029.JPG015.JPG011.JPG019.JPG039.JPG049.JPG028.JPG

Pretty crazy seeing pictures of that much snow and cold up there when it was a 100 one day this week geez. Awesome pics

Dedicated ducker that’s for sure! Strong work Steve!

That rack/cart has been a work horse lol. This is year 3 or 4 up there still holding strong. American Made all the way!

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu