Mosin Nagant

sprucansailor

May 6, 2012
San Diego
I have an 1891/30 Infantry Rifle and M44 Carbine; both are the 7.62x54R round.

What are your opinions on using these rifles to hunt Coyotes and possibly hogs? I am pretty sure the round is powerful enough for pretty much everything but I have no idea about actual use during a hunt. I would only use these until I settle on a caliber/rifle suitable for my prey.

I figure any experience gained would be good rather than just cooling my heels. I still have time before I attend the hunter safety course!

They will work but you are limited on ammo with soft points. Since you have not taken your hunter safety coarse you probably don't know that you can't hunt with FMJ (full metal jacket) type bullets. Also if you do go hunting and hunt north of L.A. you will have to use lead free bullets and I don't know of anyone producing bullets for 7.62x54R yet. Those are not the same diameter bullet like that of a 7.62 (.308 or .30cal) nato type.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu