Moved from Big Island of Hawaii to So Cal---What a shocker!!

Just to make some of you drool, a hunting friend and I went on a Big Island hunting rampage over a 3 day weekend. We went after wild cattle first, bagging 2 [or 3---can't remember] the first afternoon. That took the rest of the day just to butcher our share and then lead the coffee workers to the bodies. The next AM we went up the Skyline Road on Mauna Kea and after a lot of hiking at 10,000 + feet, took a nice mouflon ram and a couple of ewes. We then shot a Spanish goat the next day then went back to the cattle carcasses and, sure enough, a dozen pigs were feeding. Got a few of those. Then we went into Captain Cook and got a huge pizza and two pitchers of beer. That was the best part.

If it weren't for the woeful lack of medical care and the remoteness of the Big Island, I'd still be there. But, as with everything, everything comes to an end.

Met some really cool hunters and anglers thru MCC and they are helping me get thru my homesickness.

By the way, the hunting I just described has pretty much come to an end. If you want, I'll tell you about Earth Justice and what they did to sheep hunting on Mauna Kea. Totally emotional and contrary to all the science. And then, it you want, I'll tell you what happened to the cattle hunting. Let me know.
bummer :tired_face:

Just to make some of you drool, a hunting friend and I went on a Big Island hunting rampage over a 3 day weekend. We went after wild cattle first, bagging 2 [or 3---can't remember] the first afternoon. That took the rest of the day just to butcher our share and then lead the coffee workers to the bodies. The next AM we went up the Skyline Road on Mauna Kea and after a lot of hiking at 10,000 + feet, took a nice mouflon ram and a couple of ewes. We then shot a Spanish goat the next day then went back to the cattle carcasses and, sure enough, a dozen pigs were feeding. Got a few of those. Then we went into Captain Cook and got a huge pizza and two pitchers of beer. That was the best part.

If it weren't for the woeful lack of medical care and the remoteness of the Big Island, I'd still be there. But, as with everything, everything comes to an end.

Met some really cool hunters and anglers thru MCC and they are helping me get thru my homesickness.

By the way, the hunting I just described has pretty much come to an end. If you want, I'll tell you about Earth Justice and what they did to sheep hunting on Mauna Kea. Totally emotional and contrary to all the science. And then, it you want, I'll tell you what happened to the cattle hunting. Let me know.
Wild cattle hunting is nuts. Been on a couple hunts with dudes with .458 SOCOM ARs where we couldn't see past 50 yards in the cloud forest off Mana Road. Then all of a sudden a bull appears in front of us angry.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu