Moved from Big Island of Hawaii to So Cal---What a shocker!!

doccherry

May 7, 2021
Moved from So Cal to Big Island 15 years ago but due to lack of medical care there and the fact that I am now in my 70's, my wife and I moved to Fallbrook, CA, about 20 months ago. Quite a change in terms of hunting and shooting and not for the better. I still have access to private farms and ranches on the Big Island to hunt wild boar, mouflon sheep, turkeys, and wild cattle [Vancouver bulls] but due to covid, can't get back there without major hassle. Really miss the hunting there.

So, in those 14 years on the Big Island, here is the score: 175 wild pigs, 12 mouflon sheep, dozens of turkeys, and 35 wild cattle. The hunting season is 365 days per year, no limit on invasive species [pigs, sheep, cattle] and during the bird season, the limit on turkeys is 1 per day and they are everywhere. The resident license cost for all that is $10 per year. When I turned 65 [7 years ago] my license was free. I would hunt about 1 time per week and when hunting pigs, I would get a pig about every other time on a 5 hour hunt, stillhunting in beautiful jungle wilderness. Never, ever saw another human. Sheep a bit tougher to get. The wild cattle were easy. I would get a call from a coffee farmer telling me that a particularly aggressive bull was harassing coffee workers and I'd take off with my 375 Ruger and track them up into the jungle. They are very wild and easily spooked, sort of like hunting elk in heavy timber. A long shot in the jungle is about 40 yards. I'd take about 30 pounds of the best meat and then lead the coffee workers up to the carcass. Most of the workers are Mexicans with large families and they have a lot of little mouths to feed and they know how to butcher cattle. They would get about 300 pounds of meat and that would feed their families for several weeks. Figure I got about 1200 pounds of beef for myself and over 10,000 pounds for the workers. Some of the bulls were extremely aggressive and charged and had to be stopped at really close range in tight quarters. In terms of the pigs, there are so many of them that I never gutted a single one, just boned out the best cuts and walked away with 25 pounds of meat from a 175 pound boar. This is not wasteful. Pigs are like rats there, doing a huge amount of damage to the native vegetation and spreading diseases like leptospirosis. A neat trick was to shoot a bull and then come back to the carcass 3 days later. Quite a stink but that stink would attract pigs by the dozens. One dead bull would result in 2 or 3 dead pigs. My wife and I didn't buy one single ounce of beef or pork for the last several years we were on the Big Island.

What is a shocker is the idea of paying $500 for a pig hunt here in CA. Some of the ranchers on the Big Island paid ME to hunt the pigs there. I feel very lucky---blessed---to have had the opportunity to hunt on the Big Island. It's the closest thing to Africa on this side of the planet.

Joined MCC, which is a lifesaver for me. If I can't hunt, as far as I'm concerned, my life is over. Steve [ilovesprig] very generously took me on a turkey hunt here and due to his expertise in calling, we took a nice jake. Will learn calling and strategy and then hit turkeys hard next spring. Plan to fish for crappies [new to me---I'm used to marlin, mahimahi, ahi, ono], gig frogs, hunt rabbits, bandtail pigeons, waterfowl, deer, quail, etc., with MCC. When HI loosens its covid restrictions, I plan to make a few trips back to the Big Island to chase the bulls and the boars and the sheep before I'm too old.

Look forward to seeing some of you out in the field.

Steve---That turkey belongs to you more than it belongs to me. You did the scouting, the set-up, the calling. I sat on my ass and squeezed the trigger. Many, many thanks to you.
I have always found the calling in a turkey the best part of the hunt. Getting a wise old tom into your setup is a great feeling.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
A few more photos. For the wild bulls, I used a 300 win mag to begin with, then a .458 win mag, then a 45-70, and finally a .375 Ruger, which was by far the best. Open fiber optic sights, Marinecote, but it weighed only 7 pounds fully loaded and the recoil was up around 50 pounds. The bulls are so heavily muscled that with the .375, I used solids. It was often raining and you need a heavy blood trail in order to track. An exit hole really helped with that. With the Barnes TSX, I never got an exit hole. Switched to Hornady Dangerous Game solids and never lost a bull after that. Beautiful country and I never saw another human. To make you hog hunters drool, I once parked my truck on the Hunter's Road on Mauna Kea, looking down onto the Parker ranch. From my position, not moving once, I spotted over 100 pigs feeding and roaming around down below. Some were huge. The last photo is of my hunting buddies and me on a wild bull hunt. I'm the only white guy [haole] in the bunch. All of my hunting buddies were Japanese Americans or Hawaiians. My haole friends didn't hunt.DSC00028.JPGIMG_0615.JPGWildbull 5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Spent 12 years there as a young Haole boy..some of the best all around hunting for sure...as a young hatchet the opportunitys and knowledge from the locals was priceless....I like Hawaii.

Yep. Welcome to Cali. Nothing comes easy here. You will not, reliably, get into the Mahi Mahi and Ono like back home without going on a multi-day boat. But, you need to saltwater fish. The Calico Bass and local yellowtail are a blast. MCC is a good move. I don't have that kind of money but if I did, I would join. Think about duck hunting. Plenty of options in Cali. Same with the freshwater fishing. There is a lot of BS to contend with but you will sort it out.

John

Reactions: ilovesprig
Steve---That turkey belongs to you more than it belongs to me. You did the scouting, the set-up, the calling. I sat on my ass and squeezed the trigger. Many, many thanks to you.

Bruce,

It's always my pleasure on those kind of hunts...I hope we'll be able to get in some other kinds as well........ :blush:

ps...Don't forget that D-16 deer tag (MCC)...........;)

.147.JPG

Awesome pictures and write up. Sounds like some great adventures...there will be more to come I'm sure!

Looks like I need to talk to the wife about moving to the big island one day!!

How long did you last on JHO?
I got banned shortly after you moved to the big island and enjoyed reading the cow hunts.

I could of sworn you said the meat was funky or did that kid that posted on JHO say it.

How long did you last on JHO?
I got banned shortly after you moved to the big island and enjoyed reading the cow hunts.

I could of sworn you said the meat was funky or did that kid that posted on JHO say it.
MJB---Never got tossed off of Jesse's but anytime I posted something that somebody [usually some punk who has never hunted anything] didn't like I got torn to pieces. First the punk would attack me and then all his clueless buddies would attack me and then I said screw it. At times the people posting on Jesse's made me feel that most weren't hunters. They were just young punks who were bored and wanted something to do and someone to attack, all while safely hiding behind a computer monitor. Don't get me wrong, there were some real gentlemen, Hunter Pat, for example. Real hunters---experienced, skilled, knowledgeable. But I go tired of all the opinionated, ignorant punks so I left.

The meat from the cattle, even the young ones, is tough. I ground everything twice and then mixed it 70/30 with fatty ground domestic beef. That was great. Many hundreds of pounds of that stuff.

This forum seems to be a lot more civilized and the people posting seem to be real hunters or newbies who really want to learn how to hunt. I like that.

MJB and others---As an example of the hassle I got on Jesse's, I once posted that, in my opinion, wild hogs have better eyesight than many hunters realize. That's all I said. I got a dozen replies telling me that I didn't know what I was talking about and that pigs are pretty much blind beyond 50 feet. I then replied that I have hunted pigs above timberline on Mauna Kea and that they have busted me from 300 yards away, spun around, and took off. I remember one Jesse's person telling me that no pigs lived above timberline and pigs couldn't see anything at all at 300 yards. I then posted photos of a pig I took above timberline, showing clearly that fact, and again several posters went at me. By that time I had taken well over 100 pigs---fair chase---and had some knowledge on the subject. I finally asked a few of these posters how many pigs they had personally harvested and the answer was zero. But, they had "buddies" who knew more than I and pigs are blind. A couple of hard-core pig hunters chimed in, telling these posters that pigs do see a lot better than most realize and then these guys were pounced on.

Then there were arguments over what brand of truck is best, what cartridge is best, etc., and these discussions got nasty. Many were removed.

So, I got tired of all these skateboarders turned "hunters" who didn't know their asses from their elbows telling everyone else how to hunt. Everyone has his or her opinion, but hunters are under so much legislative and social pressure that we can't attack one another. Seems like this forum is more my style. Bet I learn a lot from the people who post here, many of whom know FAR more about hunting in So Cal than I do.

"Then there were the arguments over what brand of truck is best, what cartridge is best, etc., and the discussions got nasty. Many were removed

Doc,

You're at the right place....Everyone agrees that Benelli shotguns are the finest money can buy.... :joy:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu