Muley Herd Health

BamaDJ

Feb 19, 2014
Chula Vista
It's my first year hunting SoCal and I am concerned about the numbers I am seeing in regards to ratio. So far, I have only seen about 28% of the does have fawns with them. Is anyone else seeing similar numbers, or hopefully better numbers? I know it's really dry out there!

On another note, I have seen two distinctly different sizes of fawns. With the mild year we had, was there an early and late rut last year? If so, is this normal in SoCal?

I'm trying to learn Mule Deer and SoCal. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

It's dry all lions have to do is sit on water and there will be slow tender lil deer stopping by for dinner

I saw a ton of does this spring turkey season and only saw one that was clearly heavy enough in the belly to be preggo. I'm no biologist though and I don't know how to get em to pee on a test strip to make sure.

I have 5-7 resident does that my spot holds year around, and none of them have fawns, I'm not sure if it's dew to predation or just lack of water but they were getting nailed in the rut, that's for sure.... Glad I didn't release that arrow last year, I'd be one less doe in my area

Same here. I've seen a couple that were tiny. That's why I was asking about the second rut. Either that or they've adopted some cous deer fawns! Couldn't have been but maybe 15 lbs.

There aren't deer here like other places. I've found numbers will vary certain years.
IMO Deer here get most of their water from the stuff they eat. Any water here is usually posted or has 100 stands or ground blinds on it.
Watch the dew point, humidity, cloud cover fog and temps. Not just temp and wind. I use to track that stuff. Learned from it too. Seeing a deer shake off water when there is no rain or standing water around is cool.

Going to take a look around this weekend. Haven't been out in months. :-[

Thanks for the tips Sluester. I have noticed certain valleys or sides of the mountains have more vegetation than others, I'll start looking at fog, humidity, temps... The deer here definitely aren't like home. I'll keep looking, listening, and learning!

Coyote's and bobcats take a bunch of fawns in the first two months after birth, and the lions take whatever they want year round. Hunting coyotes in April and May is hard because their belly's are full. I have seen tons of game cam pics from friends with a coyote with half a fawn in its mouth.

The breeding season (rut) can be up to 3 months long in San Diego Co........Hence, having fawns in June, July, & August.........Deer need a water source and will travel long distances to get it. Even in the driest of years (like now). There are sources somewhere within a 1 or 2 miles radius......The problem we have now is many of our non manmade sources are drying up (and many local ponds). Predators will camp out at what available water there is.......It's also one of the reasons our turkey recruitment the last couple of years has been poor as well.

These pix were taken last year.......Little spotted fawn in September......And the 2nd pic has 2 maybe 3 different sized fawns.

Attachments

• PICT0033.JPG
    PICT0033.JPG
    820.3 KB · Views: 19
  • PICT0127.JPG
    PICT0127.JPG
    889.4 KB · Views: 18
I went out with the family camping about a month ago. I saw a good amount of does and spikes running around. I also saw forks with velvet still. I hate hunting dogs, but I think the coyotes are a big reason for low deer populations versus a dry environment. I hit a fawn call and I hear the coyotes go nuts. I read research that deer can get their water from their food as well from water sources. I drawed a A-22 tag. Usually in the early A-22 season, I see fawns with their mothers and some girls on their own. They're off limits to me along with spikes. Additionally, every year I see the males had already shed their velvet already. The oaks look like they started dropping already. The manzanitas were green then. The water did not look to go at the time (scarce, stagnant and concentrated). Hope this helps too.

That's good info, ilovesprig, I appreciate all the info you guys are posting. Mancalledhorse, I was out in the wilderness last week and the live oaks haves all dropped their acorns. Still finding deer in the low areas where the water used to be, feeding on the only green growth around. I'm about ready to set up on some coyotes myself. The more I scout, the more coyote sign I see.

Actually Bama.......Our local oak trees have not dropped yet......It could be your seeing last years acorns on the ground. Also, oak trees do not produce every year......I looked closely at some oaks this morning......The Englemans & black oak are just now starting to grow acorns.......I couldn't find a single live oak that had fruit.

The picture is of black oak acorns from last year....These were just starting to fall and it was just before the deer opener (10-17-13).....Obviously, deer would like this area and I watched it closely. We've always thought deer like black oak best.

Attachments

• IMG_4622.JPG
    IMG_4622.JPG
    308.4 KB · Views: 17
Thanks again for the info, ilovesprig. I wasn't sure about the acorn crop timing with the mild winter (if it can be called a winter ). I only saw one green acorn and a bunch of empty caps on the live oaks. With nothing on the ground, you are probably right about the live oaks not producing this year. I'll definitely keep my eyes open for some black oaks though!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu