Multiple State Hunts

cattledog04

Sep 12, 2017
I was wondering if I wanted to apply for tags in multiple states, do I need to pay for licenses as an out of state resident? Or how does it work, if I don't draw the tag, do I get refunds? Curious how people afford to try to plan a hunt.

Yes. If you get tags you will have to pay the non resident fees.

It depends on the which state and what they require you to pay for upfront.

If you narrow down which states you are looking at we can help you a little better.

Some of the guys on here probably know some websites that outline it all as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I wanted to apply for an antelope tag in Wyoming, Nevada, and maybe one other (not sure) just to up my odds of getting drawn for one. Do I have to pay for an out of state license for each to apply?

Each state is different, You will need to read each states declaration and understand how to apply (each has it's different requirements). For the most part the west is under a point system of one type or another and you will need to read and decipher each one to gain understanding. Make no mistake hunting the west is not cheap these days and you are best served by hiring guides when you draw a premium tag unless you are retired , independently wealthy and have a lot of time on your hands to scout as well as being in good shape otherwise it becomes a great burden to overcome. You might want to consider subscribing to a hunt service like Cabela's or Hunt'in fool as they can help you untangle all of this. The Nevada tags you have seen filled here in the last few days required many years of putting in for points and then paying a guide to get you on the game. Big antlers don't come cheap or easy...

Get a gohunt.com membership it is $150 a year. The site will explain everything every state is different. There is no cheap way to build points. I apply in all sorts of states and it costs me around $1200 and then I got drawn in 3 so there’s another $1000. Wyoming deadline is Tuesday you can apply for deer,elk, antelope for around $135. Nevada is an expensive stare to build points and they are not non res friendly. If you don’t want to build points apply in Idaho and New Mexico they don’t do Point Systems but without gohunt you will have a hard time figuring out where and when to apply.

All I see is an application for preference points. Not to apply for tags. Am I missing something?
Yes you can only apply for points right now. You can apply for the draw in the spring without points you will have a hard time getting drawn as a non resident. There are a few otc hunts but majority require 1-2 points.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Wyoming you will have to put money up front to apply for tags, Nevada you will have to purchase a hunting lincense and it cost around 250 to just apply and get a license every year that is if you want to apply for everything but it only makes sense to once you buy a license. Like previous stated you can do it without any help but go hunt makes it pretty easy And fast to know and decide what you want to apply for and when. I apply for nearly 40 tags a year and in 8 different states and continue to add states And tags every year . It’s not cheap but there are ways to do it with a budget . Some states you can float your money on a credit card and it gets put back on before it’s due if you don’t draw.

Some states you can float your money on a credit card and it gets put back on before it’s due if you don’t draw.

^This. You can also get 0% interest cards for a certain term. An 18 mo 0% interest card can get you two years of applications.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu