Muzzle Brake

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
My boy’s are small like no more than 65lbs small. Recoil and weight have been an issue. Right now they shoot a Ruger American 300 blackout and they are incredibly accurate under 150 with it. There is very little recoil with this gun.
They also have a Ruger American Youth 243. they shoot the same loads I do out of the gun because I don’t want to load multiple loads honestly. This is definitely a much more capable hunting rifle than the 300BO. My 10 year old doesn’t shoot it he is real recoil shy and my 12 year old shoots it but noticeablely flinches. He was ringing the gong at 250 yesterday though which was cool.
With all that said I just ordered a clamp on brake for the 243. What do you guys think will this reduce the recoil down around the same as the 300 BO?

https://www.wittmachine.net/ruger-american-clamp-on-muzzle-brakehtmlid22752134.html

a properly machined brake will always outperform a clamp on.

when you get one machined to fit. They cut the threads into the barrel and bore the brake to exactly match the gun. keeping tolerances low and giving you exact center alignment. Clamp on brakes have to allow for end user installs and off center bores. if you want it done right get it machined to fit its not that expensive and it will get recoil Way down! just remember ear protection will now be needed even for a single shot hunting. FineFireArms can help :)

to show you just how good a brake can be watch this video of my competition gun. its a 6.5rsaum 60gr of powder pushing a 140gr burger very very fast with almost no recoil

I have no experience with brakes.
However something is better than nothing, try see how it works.
Now that said being an ex sheet metal fabricator and ex machinist.
I would agree with Aeon.
Precision machining of the barrel would be better in the long run.
I imagine the rifle may need re calibrated at Target practice.
I believe recoil and the muzzle blast
Is hard to get use to.
The boys are doing great. Try better hearing protection see if that helps.

I would also suggest lighter loads
For the boys. Without loss of much elevation loss. Yes I know you said don't want to do that. But i recommend it.

I have a Witt break on my 270 Tikka 3 Lite. With 140gr Barnes ttsx I shout a 1/4” group at 100. Recoil is reduced to that of a 223. Only thing is YOU BETTER HAVE EAR PRO, no exceptions. Kids will be deaf before they graduate.
That’s great that you have used the Witt Brake. I hope I can get some great results with the 243 it is a light recoiling gun to start so hopefully it will really make the recoil minimal.
After we shoot it with the brake I will definitely post up the results.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Sighted in some rifles and scouted today with Jacob & Robert.....Robert just had a muzzle break put on his .270.....Very little recoil, but I could feel the vibration from 8' away and could hear the report like no other with standard ear plugs.....I can't imagine hunting with ear muffs on, because you better have them with that ported barrel.

Sighted in some rifles and scouted today with Jacob & Robert.....Robert just had a muzzle break put on his .270.....Very little recoil, but I could feel the vibration from 8' away and could hear the report like no other with standard ear plugs.....I can't imagine hunting with ear muffs on, because you better have them with that ported barrel.[/QUO
Ouch

Not only are brakes a very good solution for recoil, the allow the shooter to stay on target after the shot. This means you can watch the hit on game after the shot.

IMHO, they are worth the extra noise. The payoff is demonstrable.

The kids shot the 243 with the new Witt Machine brake this weekend. It is amazing the fun has little to no felt recoil. It is a world of difference for them. Glad I made the purchase. Like all brakes it is loud as heck.
View attachment 37081
Nice.. the measuring, ordering, and install was all pretty straightforward? I was looking at those clamp ons.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu