My first duck

gregg

Feb 16, 2014
San Diego
My first duck hunt, my first duck. Jump shooting the canals in the Imperial Valley. Scared up a bunch out of range all morning until I finally got this ruddy. It was a great day in the field and dangerously addictive. So now where do I start spending all my extra $$ on decoys and calls?? :D

bLTR4qD.png

nice.... sorry to your family and friends who will loose you from oct to feb

Congrats on that 1st duck.......Remember mine like it was yesterday.......Greenhead, Owens River Gorge below Crowley and snowing like a mutha (1962).......... ;)

Good job. Get a new bank account, hidden from your wife's.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hahaha, thanks guys. I know a ruddy isn't the most desirable bird but I'm stoked! :)

I'm going to brine the breast for 24hrs in sugar/salt mixture then throw it on the stove. This is my first wild duck I've cooked so I'm winging it.

Good job! When it comes to cooking duck, med rare or less. The more fire it gets the more gamey and tuff it gets.

Cook it rare. If you cook it all the way through, give it to the dog. Sear 3-4 mins on both sides. Let it rest, and you're done. The center should be red.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu