My first hunt

Almasy

May 4, 2015
After about 2 hours drive, I was able to scout the area. But, it was not easy as I thought. Very hard to access to BLM land, fences everywhere. I end up climb up on top of a mountain. ;D But at least I found couple place that I can access.

I encountered many jackrabbits and cottontail. They see me before I can see them, sometimes just 10 yards from me and they ran off... didn't have a chance to shoot.
But I didn't give up. Finally, I found another jack and able to sneak in very close. Just about 15 yards. rifle ready to shoot, safety off, but few seconds later I decided to shoot him with my cellphone instead. Does this count as "first kill"? For a moment I just don't want to kill that poor rabbit.

Another 2 hours drive back home in a great mood. I have to thank SCH a lot for help me to get in the right way to hunt in USA!

Attachments

• 11148770_10203876489820039_808423080749258502_n.jpg
    11148770_10203876489820039_808423080749258502_n.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 86
Jacks, like the one you photo'd are year round. Cottontails are after 7/1.

TonyS said:
Jacks, like the one you photo'd are year round. Cottontails are after 7/1.
Almost forgot that bunnies are a few weeks away. Gives us something to hunt for! Then I remembered I still have a couple wabbits and jacks left in the freezer.. chili time
209bf15be3423cd4dd64523cd6d5e3bf.jpg

way to go, now next time take him home with you.. Hope you have a deer tag for that area as well looks to be good deer country.

to OP that a nice jack, good mojo to spare his life. let the yote have something else to chase other than a fawn :)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu