my first long range build

bloodlover

Jun 3, 2015
My Remington 700 action and new Krieger barrel were tagged and ready for shipment today thanks to John at Fine Firearms. I'm building it as a 7mm Rem mag and its finally on its way. The action I picked up a year ago and got it for cheap considering its the blued stainless which from what I hear is rare. I'll be shooting 180 grain VLD's out of a 9 twist 28 inch Krieger barrel. I'm planning on bedding it into a b and c m40 stock with a Jewell trigger. I am extremely excited to start doing load work up and to shoot my own custom gun. Its taken 5 years to get this started and i cant wait to smash one of our local muley's. The goal of mine is to be confident on animals out to 600 yards. I would really like to be target confident out to 1000. This is a long ways away and a lot of practice but I'm hoping by the following season this will be a reality. Thank you again to John for all the advice and guidance.

Congrats on your build. What are you doing for bottom metal? What are you thinking for the scope?
By the way my build is being shipped to LongRifles Inc along with yours. I'm a little excited too.

Ill probably get stainless standard bottom metal. My donor gun was an adl so i have to buy the bottom metal and im probably going to get the swfa super sniper for my scope choice.

Glad to help you Tanner. You are building a nice gun. Darryl has also got an awesome rig started as well.

Heck, with Bloodlover, Lungpopper and me in the middle of builds, Spot Dropper, Bonejour and El Matavenados already have rigs built and rumor has it that Random Shot is in the specification stages…we might just have an SCH long range shooting team before you know it!

Below are the calibers by SCH member

Bloodlover - 7mm Remington Magnum

Lungpopper - 6.5x284 Norma

NBK - 6.5 RSAUM 4S

Spot Dropper - .308 Winchester

Bonejour - 7mm Remington Magnum

El Matavenados - .260 Remington

Random Shot - 7mm RSAUM (is the rumor)

This is all starting to look and sound like we definitely need to start the 1st annual LR shootout! Anyone else missing? :)

how bad are you all going to feel when a small bore gas gun whips you all at the first SCH-LR CUP

Sounds like we have a team im ready. I cant wait to cuddle my rifle. I think the wife is starting to get jelous when i post poned family photos until my rifle is done.

The new 26 and 28 nosler look pretty awsome. I was going to go with the 7mm stw but i didnt want to hassle with ammo and brass. Plus the 7mag with 180 vlds are supersonic out to 1600 yards and the stw or 7 ultra only gain u another 100 yards so it didnt seem worth it.

bloodlover said:
The new 26 and 28 nosler look pretty awsome. I was going to go with the 7mm stw but i didnt want to hassle with ammo and brass. Plus the 7mag with 180 vlds are supersonic out to 1600 yards and the stw or 7 ultra only gain u another 100 yards so it didnt seem worth it.

The Rem mag is inherently more accurate than the STW as well...

So now i have to decide on the stock. I have 3 choices. Bell and carlson m40,greybull precision, and hs precision m24. I like the hs alot but the m24 is cut for a 9.80 barrel channel and my barrel is 8.30 so im worried it will look like a canyon around my barrel. The greybull looks awsome but there isnt much info on it. The b and c has the best price but what do u guys think. Taking on all suggestions.

Have a McMillan or a Manners made for your rig so it is a perfect fit into a super rigid stock...

Just saying...

bloodlover said:
So now i have to decide on the stock. I have 3 choices. Bell and carlson m40,greybull precision, and hs precision m24. I like the hs alot but the m24 is cut for a 9.80 barrel channel and my barrel is 8.30 so im worried it will look like a canyon around my barrel. The greybull looks awsome but there isnt much info on it. The b and c has the best price but what do u guys think. Taking on all suggestions.
BL, The "heavy contour barrel" on this Sendero is 0.82" OD, and this is the HS Precision stock they make for Remington under contract. I think they look great. Is the m24 a different stock altogether, or is it the same stock cut out for a heavier barrel? Just asking. I never knew there were so many different ways to build a bolt action hunting rifle till I started talking to John about it. ;D

Attachments

• Sendero.jpg
    Sendero.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 213
The m24 is a vertical drop grip. I like the vertical grips alot but its not the only way ill go. The m24 also has a wider barrel channel. I wouldnt mind buying the same stock u have if i can find a used one. With your sendaro u can buy multiple different stocks that are inletted for a rem 700 footprint. All rem 700 long actions are the same. The only difference is the bolt face.

The long actions are the same untill u go up to 338 lapua or 416 rigbee. This is nice because if u dont like ur current caliber a simple barrel swap u can go to a different one. Like a 7 mag has a bolt face of .540 so u can go to 300 win,300 ultra,338 ultra,338 win mag,26 and 28 nosler, and so on.

NBK said:
Glad to help you Tanner. You are building a nice gun. Darryl has also got an awesome rig started as well.

Heck, with Bloodlover, Lungpopper and me in the middle of builds, Spot Dropper, Bonejour and El Matavenados already have rigs built and rumor has it that Random Shot is in the specification stages…we might just have an SCH long range shooting team before you know it!

Below are the calibers by SCH member

Bloodlover - 7mm Remington Magnum

Lungpopper - 6.5x284 Norma

NBK - 6.5 RSAUM 4S

Spot Dropper - .308 Winchester

Bonejour - 7mm Remington Magnum

El Matavenados - .260 Remington

Random Shot - 7mm RSAUM (is the rumor)

This is all starting to look and sound like we definitely need to start the 1st annual LR shootout! Anyone else missing? :)

We definitely need to put together a shoot! I'm such a poor shot, I won't be competition for anybody, but watching you guys shoot and asking questions and listening would be quite educational for me.

Aeon said:
how bad are you all going to feel when a small bore gas gun whips you all at the first SCH-LR CUP

And the trash talk has begun before the ink has been applied to the calendar! Hahaha! :)

We all know that it's not the gun, but the man behind the gun that will whip us all at the first SCH-LR CUP!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu