My first trail camera can't arrive soon enough

Boudroux

Jan 26, 2013
I'm a newb deer hunter and have a d15 tag. In my scouting I have found a spot with a several deer freeways, heavy use, but in several trips to the same area I've only seen one doe. I ordered a camera which should arrive Wednesday.

I know it isn't human activity as my boot prints are the only thing there other than the deer tracks. So in basic terms is it as simple as strapping that sucker to a tree facing the trail. I've read try to face them north to avoid direct sun but anything else I should consider?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Point it looking down the trail. It will give your camera more time to trigger while the deer is still in frame.

Post up some pictures when you get them. Good luck.

If your on Public land hide it. Get it off the trail a bit and cover it as best you can so it does not disappear on you.

Make sure there are no branches or weeds in front of it that will get blown around by the wind. You'll get a bunch of pics of the vegetation being blown around.

BuckHunter said:
Point it looking down the trail. It will give your camera more time to trigger while the deer is still in frame.

Post up some pictures when you get them. Good luck.
I agree with Buckhunter, I also set my camera on 3pic sequence, that way at least one of the pics will be a good clear one. A lot of times they will have their head down and you can't see much.

Lungpopper said:
If your on Public land hide it. Get it off the trail a bit and cover it as best you can so it does not disappear on you.

Make sure there are no branches or weeds in front of it that will get blown around by the wind. You'll get a bunch of pics of the vegetation being blown around.

I have got some great pictures of wind befor

Sdbirds said:
Lungpopper said:

I have got some great pictures of wind befor

It is hard to focus on your post with the avitar, could you repeat that. :)

Thank you all. I will find a way angle it and hopefully it won't be found. This spot is an absolute pain in the ass to get to and as far as I can tell I'm the only foot prints there recently. I did find one very old beer can that looked like it had been laying there a number of years. It was so faded on the top I had to turn it over to see the brand so certainly I'm not the first to be there. However it appears nobody has been there this year yet. Hopefully it stays that way and the camera catches something cool.

Thank to all for the replies.

My Moultrie M880 arrived today. Planning on playing with it tonight and placing it tomorrow. Hopefully I will capture something promising.

Thanks again everyone.

BuckHunter said:
Any luck yet?

Thousands of bushes. I'm relocating the camera tomorrow to a little draw filled with oak trees so hopefully I'll catch something.

I have three cams out and out of 603 pics i have 3bucks 2does and alot of blue jays and 1 coyote and a long tailed weasel (i think?).best of luck ya'll

GAME OVER said:
I have three cams out and out of 603 pics i have 3bucks 2does and alot of blue jays and 1 coyote and a long tailed weasel (i think?).best of luck ya'll

Let's see

My first trail cam had it set out for a month. The anticipation of waiting to see if I had at least one pic of a deer would of made it all worth it. After a month the day had finally came..... Even took the day off. 1200 pictures of absolutely nothing!!!!!!! LOL will always remember that. Like they said it is a learning trial and error process

Cali Ridge Runner said:
My first trail cam had it set out for a month. The anticipation of waiting to see if I had at least one pic of a deer would of made it all worth it. After a month the day had finally came..... Even took the day off. 1200 pictures of absolutely nothing!!!!!!! LOL will always remember that. Like they said it is a learning trial and error process

Haha I have done that a couple of times now! I also made the mistake one time of putting it where a squirrel was nesting. I think I had around 1000 pictures of just one squirrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you dont hide it very well this is what you might end up seeing when you view it!

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=ddzxx&s=6#.VBpw6JRdWSo

Drewski2324 said:
Cali Ridge Runner said:

Haha I have done that a couple of times now! I also made the mistake one time of putting it where a squirrel was nesting. I think I had around 1000 pictures of just one squirrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hahahahaha

Or this! These are my first pictures or anything on my camera. A doe and a gray fox I believe....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu