My first Yote

Andy599

619-204-2325
Aug 26, 2012
La Mesa
Ok so here it goes, this morning I got up well before anybody sane should be getting up 3:20 AM picked up my buddy Jason and drove up to Guatay to meet the master Coyote slayer Rob Wagner. We chose to go out towards Boulevard for our hunt. We got there and it was still very dark and a little breezy. After loading up we set out for our first stand about a 1/2 mile from where we parked. Once there we spread out and set up the caller, unfortunately I set up on an ant hill and immediately had to relocate, down side of setting up in the dark. Anyways the first stand ended up being a big zero so we packed it up and moved to another location, on the way we were finding tons of Quail, too bad it's not time yet. So the second stand also ended in a zero, not even a peep. Then we decided we were going to try one last spot before heading out as it was getting warm. This spot had a rather large hill with lots of boulders and thick bushed all around it. at the base of the hill it leveled out and offered some really good cover. I was able to stand with my BOG-POD supporting my rifle and still remain hidden which was nice for a change, and it offered a good accurate shot position. So we started the caller and within 2 minutes Rob spotted one dog at the top of the rocky hill, he stared for a while trying to locate where the sound was coming from. Then he turned to look over his shoulder and then a second dog appeared. Rob switched the call to jack rabbit and almost immediately they made their move traversing the rocks towards our location. Rob was a good coach and kept me patient until they go closer for the kill. The plan was for them to get within shot gun range so we could take then both. They were within 80 yards when one of them must have been spooked or something and turned to take off. At that moment Rob said now, now, now, after which I squeezed the trigger sending my Barnes 168gr TTSX barreling towards the unsuspecting yote. The impact was right on sending him down for the count but not lights out immediately. He rolled around trying to run away but when your front right leg has been virtually blown off at the shoulder, it just was not happening for him. I tried to get a location on the second yote but lost him in the rocks. Then I put another round in him to finish him off and my buddy Jason wanted a turn as well and shot a few .223 rounds at him and it was lights out for this guy. When we got up to him it was very clear that he had sustained some serious bone damage from the initial shot. Basically the round did what it was supposed to. The gun used was a Tikka T3 modified by Fine FireArms to accept rounds up to at least 2.93 by switching the magazine for a 30-06 and replacing the bolt stopper so that the rounds would eject properly. All in all I was very happy with the way everything went for my first hunt.

Attachments

• 20130801_071402.jpg
    20130801_071402.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 25
Congrats! Nicely done Andy! And a great detailed post!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu