My Season gone by....

KennyQuacker

Jun 13, 2013
El Cajon, CA
I was looking at a few of my photos today from this past Waterfowl Season and thot I'd share a few.

In SoCal - At the last minute, I was bumped out of my invited spot in a group camping RV spot for the Season at Wister, which effectively cancelled my duck season. I salvaged the season solo, taking-up canal hopping on a few day trips to the Imp Vly. With water being tough to find, results were pretty meger, but managed 1-3 birds each time for the crock pot. These tougher seasons are the ones that remind me it's hunting, not getting, and that it's good just to get out and enjoy the experience, even solo...especially talking to Otis and sharing a burrito ;-) He never complains.

In Idaho (Panhandle) November - I went on my annual archery hunt with my buddy. I also had set up a 1-day goose hunt in-advance with Shane Moon, at North Flight Waterfowl. Shane had goose pits in a harvested corn field and only 1 side kick, so he let us help set-up, which is 1/2 the fun to me. It was 19 degrees, clear and almost no wind. We had to keep covers on the deke heads until shooting light, to keep the frost off, which geese are wise to that. Shane was a fantastic caller, really turned and sucked-in a lot of birds and we shot limits in a few short hours. At one point, we had a single goose walking on top of the pit blind honking...pretty funny. Shane didn't have any dogs, but he could fetch-up geese. We dropped a few greaters, which really thump hard when they hit near frozen ground. It was a really memorable and fun day with a few buddies that I don't get to hunt with too often anymore.Goose Hunt .jpgNorthFlightWaterfowl - Shane Moon.jpgOtis - Pinner Drake.jpgOtis 3 Mally's.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Kenny,

Great pix....Thanks for sharing..... :blush:

ps...You do know that you can stay in the auxiliary campground and many times spots open the 1st part of November in the main campground.

Reactions: garlicsalt
Very cool! Thanks for sharing. Would love to try a goose hunt like that one day!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu