N

B

beeaav

I am looking to get into reloading and interested in purchasing a lee single stage press. I am mainly going to reload .223 rounds and some .45. I have a couple questions for you that know a thing or two about reloading.

1. What are all the parts that I need? I have a 3 die kit, depriming tool, deburring tool, primer pocket cleaner, and the press already in my shopping cart ($100). Anything else I need?

2. Is it fairly easy to learn for someone that has never done it?

3. I'm not going to be reloading thousands and thousands of rounds through it. Will it really be cost effective?

Anything I'm missing or any extra advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

That's the same set up I use. I reload a lot and have never had a problem. I reload for cost due to the lead free. I load 223 45acp 44-40 45-70 243 300savage 32-20 32mag and a few more. I've never needed anything else. But I've used much bigger better presses and wow are they nice. Just take it slow test lots of loads and to be really accurate rent or buy a chronograph so you know your speeds

Lee Case length gauge, plus the lee cutter that goes along with it but sold separately.

some hornady one shot case lube.

Priming tool.

Powder dispenser/scale

Calipers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at this video I did for our varmint club. It will give you all the information you need for case preparation,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=4r4jAU7i-wk

In addition to what you have, I would suggest you get a hand priming tool. I have an RCBS, but there are others out there just as good. Take your pick. Once your case is prepped and primed, you need to load it. That entails a scale, loading block, powder measure and a set of calipers to measure the finished (loaded) case. Generally, a 223 overall length (OAL or COAL) is determined by your magazine. The OAL is generally just a bit shorter than your magazine. My own personal load for my AR is 24.0 grains of H335, CCI 400 primers and an OAL of 2.25" using a Hornady 53 grain V-max BT bullet. This gives me a velocity of 3060 f/s and patterns 0.55" at 100 yards. My magazines measure 2.27, so I load to 2.25 to give the rounds a little "wiggle room" so they won't jam up.

Hope this helps.

White Smoke said:
Look at this video I did for our varmint club. It will give you all the information you need for case preparation,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=4r4jAU7i-wk

In addition to what you have, I would suggest you get a hand priming tool. I have an RCBS, but there are others out there just as good. Take your pick. Once your case is prepped and primed, you need to load it. That entails a scale, loading block, powder measure and a set of calipers to measure the finished (loaded) case. Generally, a 223 overall length (OAL or COAL) is determined by your magazine. The OAL is generally just a bit shorter than your magazine. My own personal load for my AR is 24.0 grains of H335, CCI 400 primers and an OAL of 2.25" using a Hornady 53 grain V-max BT bullet. This gives me a velocity of 3060 f/s and patterns 0.55" at 100 yards. My magazines measure 2.27, so I load to 2.25 to give the rounds a little "wiggle room" so they won't jam up.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help Jerry! I hope to reload some Hornady v-max first. I'll talk to you about it next meeting.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu