Need Help getting my first Turkey! And to mentor me into the world of hunting!

Nickrp

Dec 26, 2012
Hey all, just intro'ed myself in the Newb forum. So heres the deal, taking the hunters safety coarse on the 9th and gonna finally get my license. So I really want to get a bird for either xmas or thanksgiving for the family! So im looking for someone to help me get my first bird as well as someone who can mentor me a bit as I am a total newb! My main focus for now will be to get a bird for now but also want to get into some other upland game this year and would be open to some predator hunting as well. Im 30 years old, work in the defense industry, responsible, married and an OK shot (i think at least haha). I live in Brea (north OC) but willing to drive.

and yeah i know folks protect their 'honey holes' and all, (you can blind fold me im cool haha) just want to learn, and i have no one to teach me haha. (and im a firm believer of learn by doing).

So Any willing experienced guys want to show me the ropes and such?

Nick

your best bet is to go practice at your local gun range. hire a qualified instructor to teach you gun & shot gun handling. watch you tube it helps, read the fish & game wildlife reqs. all you can stand. at the gun range hook with people there. for complete strangers to trust you you have to get firearms & shot gun training. then get your hunter safety class & pass. learn safety practices. and keep talking to experience hunters, then some one can take you under her's or his wing. if yo are serious about learning that would be a good place to start.

hope this helps

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu