Need help recomended Optics for a 204 ruger varmint rig

Dan86

Sep 21, 2013
I looking for optic for a 204 ar varmint rig for ranges out to 500 yards. The vortex viper hs-t 4-16x44, 6-24x50, or the vortex viper pst 2.5-10x44, 4-16x50 have cought my eye for the price point and quality of build.

It depends on what your use is. If you are just shooting squeeks then the 6-24 is a good time

I have the 6-24 pst on my 6mm ar.

I f-ing hate it for coyotes. It's just the wrong scope. At 6x power your field of view is to small to pickup dogs at close range. Build quality is good and you would be happy with that on any of their models

The 204 does not need fancy turets or reticles. Zero the gun at 250yards and put the x on the target. At 500 yards its only 22" drop. 0 to 300 is no thinking at all just hold and kill. 400 yards is only 9 inches. I think fussing with turrets for this round is bad not good.

I went to fine firearms yesterday and John gave me some great insite on optics. I think when the time comes to get the optic for my rig its going to be a leopold vx-r 2-7x33 or the 3-9x40. Thanks John for all the great advice yesterday.

Dan86 said:
I think when the time comes to get the optic for my rig its going to be a leopold vx-r 2-7x33 or the 3-9x40. Thanks John for all the great advice yesterday.

+1 on John's advice.

I have the vx-r 2-7 on my AR. It's a great set up on a coyote rig.

Interesting to read all these thoughts, in particular Aeon's specific comments about his 6-24x not performing well at 100 yds. I bought a Nikon Monarch 4.5-14x for my .30-06 because it was the only one w a mil dot reticle I could find in my price range. I was looking for 3-12x range. The glass is very good, but when I'm trying to acquire a moving target at less than 150-200 yards, I wish I had a little less mag on the low end. 3x is really nice when they are in close and moving.

Sent via Tapatalk

Don

sure enough I believe you. I used a 3-9 x 40 for a long time. hard to make those running shots.
I usually don't try. I try call on them with a goat call or whistle trying to get it to stop.
I being out of practice and I need to refresh my skills. as they are rusty.
I had many chances last year where I should have connected.

Part of hunting I guess.

Lee

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu