Need input

Hunter_r925

May 14, 2018
So this is for all the wister junkies! Do any of you guys use like a panel blind and brush it up with arrowweed? How as it worked for you? I am thinking of making a light portable blind with raffi grass then blend it in with some arrowweed.. do you guy think it’s a good idea or waste of time.. or should I just stick to making blind out of arrowweed? thanks for the help!

i have this in my shopping chart and done some research. light and portable. im sure you can put some grasws over it as well.

Hunter.

We've used panel type blinds for years at Wister....The store bought are just better and easier to use....Fast grass panels have been a staple for the blinds since it came out....Not many clear dikes at Wister anymore, but places on the north end, they could still be a plus.

ps....The 2nd pic is what NOT to do at Wister.....lol

.006.JPGwister opener 2011 024.JPG

Reactions: longduck
Steve is the expert on Wister. But I personally have never been in a situation where I would need one most of the time I can make do with what is there. I always have a machete and shears on me. When I waterfowl hunt. I can see some spots where it would be easier to have a panel blind though. I don't like to carry more than I have to.

i have this in my shopping chart and done some research. light and portable. im sure you can put some grasws over it as well.

I built one similar to that last season with a burlap sheet with the plastic tamato poles it sucked the burlap just ripped. So I’m am thinking of making one with a more durable material then brushing it up! But it’s kinda reinventing the wheel lol

Hunter.

We've used panel type blinds for years at Wister....The store bought are just better and easier to use....Fast grass panels have been a staple for the blinds since it came out....Not many clear dikes at Wister anymore, but places on the north end, they could still be a plus.

ps....The 2nd pic is what NOT to do at Wister.....lol

.View attachment 35929View attachment 35930

Hey Steve.. what is the mesh like material that you used in the first pic to hold of the grass stuff?

Hunter,

That's tan colored cyclone fencing....Each panel is zip tied or woven into it.....It rolls up and I think there's about 8 panels....Easy to put up with two guys with stakes and zips.....Here's a pretty good pic of it....We use raffie grass too.

.007.JPG

Reactions: TRICER
Hunter,

That's tan colored cyclone fencing....Each panel is zip tied or woven into it.....It rolls up and I think there's about 8 panels....Easy to put up with two guys with stakes and zips.....Here's a pretty good pic of it....We use raffie grass too.

.View attachment 35937[/QUOTE

Thanks I like that blind a lot! Is that Henshaw?

Yep....Wish it still looked like that....The willows since taking the cows away from the lake have taken over....Zero duck food now.

This picture was taken just 3 years ago....Those willows are now where the blind is....Just 2 years earlier we were hunting back by the rocks.

.008.JPG

Reactions: TRICER
Hunter,

We do very similar to Steve. Instead of using t posts you can use galvanized conduit. It should be cheaper and it is lighter. Just paint it with a flat camo paint. We also roll up fast grass panels into it, but I do not zip tie them.

Even with the fast grass we still spend an hour or more brushing it in with natural vegetation. The fast grass is a solid sheet so I really like it for getting rid of any human outline.

I build an A Frame style blind with it. Stake everything in at an angle.

Many times I have thought about buying the Tanglefree panel blind, but I just cant make myself do it since this has worked well for so many years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yep....Wish it still looked like that....The willows since taking the cows away from the lake have taken over....Zero duck food now.

This picture was taken just 3 years ago....Those willows are now where the blind is....Just 2 years earlier we were hunting back by the rocks.

.View attachment 35938

Wow! It’s crazy how things have changed over the years...

Hunter,

We do very similar to Steve. Instead of using t posts you can use galvanized conduit. It should be cheaper and it is lighter. Just paint it with a flat camo paint. We also roll up fast grass panels into it, but I do not zip tie them.

Even with the fast grass we still spend an hour or more brushing it in with natural vegetation. The fast grass is a solid sheet so I really like it for getting rid of any human outline.

I build an A Frame style blind with it. Stake everything in at an angle.

Many times I have thought about buying the Tanglefree panel blind, but I just cant make myself do it since this has worked well for so many years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Awesomeness thanks for the input much appreciated! I was looking at the tanglefree blinds but they seem a little bulky and heavy..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu