Need Leupold scope recommendations for custom AR15

Trigger

Nov 12, 2013
To all you patient and smart hunters-

I need a two or three Leupold scope recommendations for a custom AR15 (.223/5.56) my USMC armorer friend put together for me! The rifle has a 1-8 twist, 18" bull barrel. I will use it for heavy plinking, predator and varmit hunting. I plan to shoot factory bullets between 62-77 grains. I would like to be able to shoot up to 600 yards reasonably well. Budget is flexible. I called Leupold and they told me the MARK AR and 4 scopes are just more stoutly built for tactical/military service; I don't intend to drag it through the mud and brush.

Some will say why Leupold. I own three and love their customer service, warranty and quality. Sorry I'm just biased.

Thanks, Trigger

kinda depends on what you wana do... do you need turrets and high magnification. currently i like the 1-6 or 1-4 power scopes for yotes. 600 yard shots with 6 power are going to be tough but how much do you really expect to do that. I kill a ton of dogs and i have only taken one shot over 500 yards.

if you are going to kill coyotes with this gun then stay away from the scopes with a high low power mag level. I just put a vx-r 3-9 on my old mans gun and i like it a lot.

go big or go home i would go for a Mark 6 1-6power but that's 2800 bucks you wont get back...

vortex strike eagle is a bargain 1-6 power that works pretty damn nice.

Thanks Aeon. I'm comparing some Mark 6 scopes now. Do you prefer front focal? I like the idea of a turret for elevation.

I have the mark AR from Leupold on one of mine. It is a 6x18 I love the scope but not for hunting. I am building another one and I am going to use a 1-5 or 6 x 30mm. I think the most important thing to me now is target acquisition. BTW I will probably go with Vortex on my next scope I am starting to buy into all the hype.

Always for hunting. ;) I actually use a fixed 4x32 on one of my 14.5" barrel AR as well. Like I said acquisition is key for me. I am not trying to hit a dime when I am hunting more like an 8" gong.

I ended up with the Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40mm CDS Windplex. Will post a range report soon. Looks awesome! Thanks for all the input!!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu