New bow

OCOutdoors

Oct 3, 2012
I ordered this bow back in November and it finally showed up today. I don't have it set up or tuned yet. I just ordered a rest for it last night and hope to see it by the weekend, went with a Trophy Taker Extreme Pro FC. Can't wait to get this thing dialed in.
photo_zps9e006d4f.jpg

Finally got the rest, peep and D loop installed today. Sighted at 20yrds at the shop. This thing is super quiet.

I am totally jealous!! And let me say congrats. Now, if your not use to shooting a bow with a 6" brace height then make sure you give your self plenty of time to learn how. Its really easy to get frustrated and go back to an old slow caveman style bow, like a Mathews or bow tech(LOL). If I had to come up with one thing that is most important over all Id say its your grip with a shorter brace height. But if you already shoot with a 6", then your gonna love this thing right out of the box. Oh and Lakeside Bow and Arrowshop has these in stock.

http://www.bownarrowshop.com/

A lot of people have said that it will be way different than what I am used to shooting. I've spent probably 3hrs shooting the thing today and I feel pretty confident with it already. I am no tuner but really wanted to learn how to do this stuff on my own with this one and I think it's doing alright out to 37yrds(from front of my garage to my back wall). Can't wait till I have time to paper tune it. Been reading/learning a lot of new things about bows that I never knew. I've always shot sights that stayed close to the riser but want to try some that stick further out.

Right On! Im stoked for ya. Just make sure the peep size matches the sight ring. That will kinda determine how far out sight ring can go and should go.There is a bunch of guys on here that are pretty good at tuning in. So hit us with any questions u have. We will do what we can. But I will say that most of us let The Bow and Arrow Shop do the main set up on our new bows. When it leaves there the bow is pretty solid. All we need to do is sight em in. Have fun. Maybe post up some groups in a few days.Not much hunting going on right now. Ill be happy to look at dead foam. ;D

The last bow I bought was in 06 and the only thing I did to it since set up from an archery shop was wax the bow string. I thought about having my local pro shop set it up for me but wanted to try on my own. I need to get me a new target so I can tune it. The only target I have at the moment is a deer target and that barely stopped the arrows from my old bow anymore.

I've been doing some research on the net looking at bow presses so I don't have to go to an archery shop and I want to be able to do all my own tuning. Found a few threads with drawings on DIY bow presses so decided to try and make my own. This is what I have so far and still waiting for a few parts to come in the mail to finish.
photo_zps7d695b32.jpg
photo_zps35417e8d.jpg
Not sure if I'm going to make the fingers yet or buy from someone.
I went to the park the other day to try some shooting 40-70yrds. My 60-70yrd group was consistently looking like this, I have to square up my sight to bring my POI over a couple inches.
photo_zps3ae6e5fe.jpg

That's a nice group at 70yrds if u ask me ! Square them sights up!
Man 70yrds is a Poke!

I think I know that park and bale. Nice looking bow press.

BuckHunter said:
I was actually expecting to see you there being you said you shoot there and the place was packed when I showed up. Had to wait for someone to leave so I could park.

OCOutdoors said:
BuckHunter said:
I was actually expecting to see you there being you said you shoot there and the place was packed when I showed up. Had to wait for someone to leave so I could park.

I need to get down there to shoot a few. Let me know the next time you go and I'll meet you there if I'm free.

BuckHunter said:
OCOutdoors said:
BuckHunter said:

I need to get down there to shoot a few. Let me know the next time you go and I'll meet you there if I'm free.

Will do but may be a few weeks, I'm still trying to get things together. Waiting on parts to finish my press and putting my arrows together. Going to have to put a 1/4" peep on, wish I would've got a sight with a longer dovetail. Added this arrow saw to my bow press using my dremel.
photo_zps713d5994.jpg
photo_zpsa566ce97.jpg
photo_zps0860c233.jpg

Nothing better than ingenuity! Looking good my friend. Stuff like this is what starts company's and economy!

Made a draw board attachment for my press so I could sync the draw stops.
photo_zps701688fb.jpg
Last week I spent some time bare shaft tuning my bow(which took me longer than it should have) but got it tuned pretty good out to 30yrds. 2 fletched 2 bare shafts at 20yrds.
photo_zpsa44ab657.jpg
Ended the day with this group at 30yrds 2fletched 2bare shaft. (May adjust a bit more)
photo_zps7529e82c.gif
I've been backyard archery shooting 20+yrs, hunted archery locally during high school then got back into the archery hunting part the last couple of years and did this for the first time ever.
photo_zps367d9ed2.jpg
And threw away 1/2dz arrows already because of this.
photo_zps26967649.jpg
I want to get my hands on a couple different stabilizers and actually think I need a rear facing stabilizer cause the bow wants to fall forward in my hand. After that I will be broadhead tuning this thing.

OC,

Are you shooting that bow with your homemade draw/press contraption? It looks like it would work similar to that Hooter Shooter that Spot Hogg makes. Would definitely remove the element of human error when tuning it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu