New guy in Chino

vs5466

Nov 14, 2012
Hello everyone, I am new to this site and introducing myself. I am completely new to hunting, a few friends and I are going to take the hunter safety test next month, and once the new year starts get my license :) . Currently I have a Mossberg 500 with 28" barrel and a Ruger mini 14 that can be used for hunting. I have a couple friends who want to give bird hunting a try and I want to work my way up to boars, coyotes and big game. I have a question regarding a rifle for big game, what rifle and calibers would be recommended? I have been looking at Remington 770 models and a Savage Arm (forgot the model) rifle at Big 5. Any suggestions?

I have 3 Remington 700s, getting another soon. I would recommend that in 7mm rem. mag, or .270 win. Both are great calibers. Goodluck and have fun!

All good caliber choices...I like the .308 best out of the four. Both the Remington ad the Savage are good rifles.

Be careful when purchasing firearms from Big 5

Thanks for the advice, I just read an article in the new Field and Stream about 6 cheap good guns so that helped with some research and expanded some options. As far as caliber goes I was thinking of 30-06 or 7mm, so I could take down deer and still have the option of going for bigger game (eventually) all in one rifle. Versus multiple rifles for different game. I have heard good things about the Remington 700, are there any other particular models that are recommended?

I would also look at the Ruger American.

As far as having a cartridge that can be used for larger game - the .308 has more power than needed for all North American game less large carnivores. Basically from moose on down to antelope. My second choice would be the 7mm (out of the cartridges you have mentioned).

Just saying...

A few other brands to look at would be Sako,Tikka and Winchester. The 7 mag shoots flatter and the 30-06 has been around (and will be in the future) but never underestimate the 308, it's a very affordable high performance cartridge.

For the money the Tikka T3 is the best pound for pound rifle made. If money is not an issue the Sako model 85 is the best production rifle on earth...

Thanks. I will be putting more time into researching the right one for me. Right now finishing my AR is my priority. I do have another question about supplies and gear, I live close to the Bass Pro in Rancho, bu they are on the pricey side. Are there any good stores in So Cal that sell cheaper or websites? Other than some gear and my cammies from the Marines I got no hunting camo or gear.

NBK said:
All good caliber choices...I like the .308 best out of the four. Both the Remington ad the Savage are good rifles.

Be careful when purchasing firearms from Big 5
Big 5 is a great place to purchase guns every firearm my family owns were purchased there get a savage edge in 30.06 its not a pretty gun but its cheap has a smooth action and shoots straight

Southern California does not have a lot of hunting stores at all. Since I have been out here I purchase at lot of stuff online. NOt just from a particular website either. I usually use google shopping to find the lowest prices and go from there.

Well, officially signed up for my hunting safety class (finally) for Jan 6th at Bass Pro. ;D Can't wait to start hunting. Also decided on getting the Ruger American rifle .308, the reviews on it are pretty good for the price.

Outstanding choice on both caliber and rifle. What kind of glass are you going to put on it?

I have a nikon buckmaster mildot 4.5-14x40. My dad got it for me when I got my ruger mini 14 a couple years back (why he thought that scope would match that rifle I don't know.) It was a terrible experience with my mini 14. The ruger scope rings were junk, the screws wouldn't stay tight and I could never zero it. That brings up a question, what scope rings would you recommend for the american rifle? I would like to avoid the same problem. :)

With the rifle and scope you have I would recommend the Leupold PRW steel ring system hands down. Your rifle comes with standard cross slot bases. Pull your bases off the rifle and degrease the hardware (rubbing alcohol or brake cleaning fluid) (do the same with the ring hardware right out of the packaging). Re-assemble the bases and torque down the the screws to the receiver at 23" inch pounds and 23"-25" inch pounds on the ring screws. Make sure you use removable Loctite on the threads of your hardware prior to assembly.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/mounting-systems/prw-rings/

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu