New guy

Danny Sanchez Jr

Nov 29, 2016
New to hunting. I want to start with small game since it seems to be fun and easier on the wallet. I have a.22 LR but waiting to get my license. I want to start in the forums and learn some basics and see if someone is willing to let me pick third brain.

Reactions: Moves
Danny,

Get that license....Hunting is not that easy on the wallet at first, but is a life long investment....Buy in an entry level shotgun. A used Remington 870 would be a good place to start....It opens tons of doors for hunting many species of upland birds and small game.

Reactions: Danny Sanchez Jr
Danny,

Get that license....Hunting is not that easy on the wallet at first, but is a life long investment....Buy in an entry level shotgun. A used Remington 870 would be a good place to start....It opens tons of doors for hunting many species of upland birds and small game.

Any suggestions on places to look for a used shotgun like that? I just bought an air rifle cause I figured in the long run it would be much cheaper on ammo for small game but I am interested in getting a shotgun also.

Danny,

Awesome. I looked into classes and I'll begin looking at shotguns as well

Any suggestions on places to look for a used shotgun like that? I just bought an air rifle cause I figured in the long run it would be much cheaper on ammo for small game but I am interested in getting a shotgun also.
Check other forums/sites like Calguns and ArmsList for used guns.. but you can find deals on a brand new Rem 870 Express too, sometimes around $325-350 if you look around online or some stores that have promotional deals.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Danny,

Check out Fine Firearms in La Mesa....A used Mossberg or 870 may only cost a couple hundred bucks....Make sure it's a 12 gauge too (modified choke if fixed)....As much as I like 20 gauge guns, the new shells restrictions will make a 12 gauge good for every kind of game, including waterfowl....Start saving money....It's a long and winding road of buying gear....;)

Ask lots of questions about what you need.....It will save you money in the long run.....Lots of used stuff out there....Check out swap meets, Goodwill, Craig's list, etc.....What sizes do you wear?

Fine Firearms has the best selection of used shotguns I've seen in awhile.

Don't get a cheapo Chinese one, and it will last and you can resell it.

Danny,

Check out Fine Firearms in La Mesa....A used Mossberg or 870 may only cost a couple hundred bucks....Make sure it's a 12 gauge too (modified choke if fixed)....As much as I like 20 gauge guns, the new shells restrictions will make a 12 gauge good for every kind of game, including waterfowl....Start saving money....It's a long and winding road of buying gear....;)

Ask lots of questions about what you need.....It will save you money in the long run.....Lots of used stuff out there....Check out swap meets, Goodwill, Craig's list, etc.....What sizes do you wear?
I'm a big boy. XXL-XXXL.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu