New hunter looking to get some rabbit or quail

Bask

Oct 3, 2022
I've been around guns my whole life just never been hunting. I got my license and a shot gun and some other hunting gear. Looking to find a place to try and figure it out at. I assume like with fishing asking for spots is a no no. But I'm wondering if I post a few pics/coords of where I intend to park and hunt if some of you more experienced hunters could chime in.

I have onX, but I guess my biggest concern is where can I drive to/park for various areas.

For example this screen shot of McCain valley, is driving permitted on the double white lines or do I need to park on the road and hike up through the area?

I'm also looking at hollenbeck canyon and seems like a similar deal.

.Screenshot_20221003-110910.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Az. young man, Az. rabbit open year round. Plus they actually like hunters there.

• Haha
Reactions: Bask
For example this screen shot of McCain valley, is driving permitted on the double white lines or do I need to park on the road and hike up through the area?

In general, driving is allowed on the double white lines as shown in the app. However, many rods marked like that on onX can be posted no driving when you get to them. I come across this all the time, escpecially on BLM land. As far as parking, be courteous to others that might come up the road after you have parked and started our hiking.

Reactions: Bask and 180ls1
Az. young man, Az. rabbit open year round. Plus they actually like hunters there.
Well I go to AZ a few times a year so maybe I'll throw an extra day into those trips haha. But I am trying to find something closer to me. Especially given the current gas price.... I guess the upside of AZ is I can fill up in Yuma for $3.40 a gallon

Well I go to AZ a few times a year so maybe I'll throw an extra day into those trips haha. But I am trying to find something closer to me. Especially given the current gas price.... I guess the upside of AZ is I can fill up in Yuma for $3.40 a gallon
You don't need to go to AZ to hunt and be successful. I hunt CA and AZ every year. There are more animals there but you absolutely can have a blast here as well.

@RKE hit the nail on the head with the other advice.

Reactions: Bask
In general, driving is allowed on the double white lines as shown in the app. However, many rods marked like that on onX can be posted no driving when you get to them. I come across this all the time, escpecially on BLM land. As far as parking, be courteous to others that might come up the road after you have parked and started our hiking.
Thanks I figure pulling off to the side a bit so there is room to pass is the way to go. I'm just really trying to make sure I don't catch a ticket or worse have my car towed if I'm out here.

Good note on the double lines and potentially signs that dictate otherwise. Thanks!

You don't need to go to AZ to hunt and be successful. I hunt CA and AZ every year. There are more animals there but you absolutely can have a blast here as well.

@RKE hit the nail on the head with the other advice.
Good to hear, I'm sure I'll have a blast even if I don't find anything. Some of the best days I've had fishing I didn't catch anything. So just getting out for a hike with a chance of dinner is all I'm really after. (We'll see if that changes though)

Reactions: 180ls1
Rabbits and roads ..my 1 cent...get some!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu