New Hunting Boots - Snake proof worth it?

8SteelTown

I'm in the market for some new hunting boots ($200 or less). The steel toes I've been rocking are now causing my toes to bleed when I descend down steep hills! Not cool.

Anyway, alot of the areas I hunt are full of rattlers. I've had some close calls but not sure if it's worth it to get the snake boots or not. Seems like you lose a lot of mobility. Don't think I want to go the gaitor route, but I don't know enough yet.

I saw a pair on BassPro that have a flexible ankle backing to increase mobility (either Redhead or Lacrosse.. don't remember), but I don't want to struggle going up, down, and sideways along steep hills.

As always, your opinions are appreciated.

Jesse

SoCal... Cool boots and in my price point. Do you sport gaiters also? Thanks.

Boots are at the top of the list when it comes to hunting the west and covering ground. I like Kennetrek and Miendle (Kennetrek best) but everybody is different and needs to do some home work . Just like optics set a budget as high as you can ...

I bought some Rocky snake boots from Cabela's a couple of years ago after a buddy was bit and killed by a buzztail. They are super-comfortable and NOT hot at all. I love mine. I have the regular boots, not the side-zip model.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Rocky-16-ProLight-Snake-Boots/1148938.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Drocky%2Bsnake%2Bboots%26x%3D-867%26y%3D-51%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=rocky+snake+boots&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

I do the turtle skin gators.......they fit all my boots so if snakes around on with the gators plus they keep water and fox tails out and are good on the hidden bar wire.

Found a pair of Trekkers on Cabela's at a good price. I'm going with the snakeboots and will just have to adjust. Don't want this happening to me....
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/snake-bite-victim-socked-with--55k-bill-150152873.html

We carry Turtle Skin SnakeArmor gaiters at Iron Mountain Outfitters in La Mesa. They're made in the USA & they are the lightest material available that snake bites will not penetrate. Therefore, these gaiters are more comfortable in our southern California heat. Iron Mountain Outfitters is 2 blocks west of Fine Firearms in La Mesa.

GSPMomma, those are pretty sweet gaiters! Little out of my price range. BOB - Born On Budget.

Buy once cry once and never have to bring 2 pairs of boots......I've had my turtle skins for many years and can't recommend them enough.

I've sent a few people to your shop and they all have been back for other items keep up the good work! I can't tell you how many people wait to buy items in need at the last moment it's nice to be able to get things locally.

8SteelTown said:
I'm in the market for some new hunting boots ($200 or less). The steel toes I've been rocking are now causing my toes to bleed when I descend down steep hills! Not cool.

Anyway, alot of the areas I hunt are full of rattlers. I've had some close calls but not sure if it's worth it to get the snake boots or not. Seems like you lose a lot of mobility. Don't think I want to go the gaitor route, but I don't know enough yet.

I saw a pair on BassPro that have a flexible ankle backing to increase mobility (either Redhead or Lacrosse.. don't remember), but I don't want to struggle going up, down, and sideways along steep hills.

As always, your opinions are appreciated.

Jesse

Considering how close (and lucky) you got to that rattler during turkey season, I think you're right to get snake boots!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu