New IE hunter

Hallx7

Jul 31, 2013
Corona
Hello everyone. My name is Eric and I live in Corona. I grew up fishing, mostly in the Sierras, but never went hunting nor did I know anyone that hunts. I've always been into the outdoors between Scouting, camping and rock climbing. I've been shooting sine I was a kid. Now I've decided that I would like to learn the art of hunting and be able to pass that along to my kids as they get older. I've done one "hunt" for hog at Big Horn Canyon. It was a wonderful experience but I want to get out and hunt public lands. I bought my first hunting license this year. I have a bunch of maps and have been doing some scouting. I'm here to check things out and I'm sure I'll pick up a great bit of tips I can apply to my new adventures in learning to hunt.

Welcome to the SCH website Hallx7. We are stoked to have you on the forum.

I appreciate the welcome. I'm very happy to be here and I'm looking forward to soaking it all in. Hopefully at some point I will find opportunities that allow me to use my knowledge to add value.

Welcome. I like your thinking. I remind my kids all the time that it wasn't long ago when people had to kill their dinner.

Breacher said:
Welcome. I like your thinking. I remind my kids all the time that it wasn't long ago when people had to kill their dinner.

Is that because you still live in a cave and eat your meat raw?? *cough cough* hairless sasquatch.... ;D ;D

Halix7, What kind of game are you planning on starting with? Are you going purly Upland or are you just going for whatever whenever? How have your scouts turned out in the Corona area? I talked with an upland guy who lives in Corona and said there are a couple good spots up there.

Midwest_Hunter said:
Breacher said:

Is that because you still live in a cave and eat your meat raw?? *cough cough* hairless sasquatch.... ;D ;D

Haha. No I just appreciate how hard people had to work for their food.

Breacher said:
Midwest_Hunter said:
Breacher said:

Haha. No I just appreciate how hard people had to work for their food.

Well that could be true too but the fact of the matter is i saw your smoke signals the other day and new you were on the war path......

8SteelTown said:
Halix7, What kind of game are you planning on starting with? Are you going purly Upland or are you just going for whatever whenever? How have your scouts turned out in the Corona area? I talked with an upland guy who lives in Corona and said there are a couple good spots up there.

At this point I'm set up to hunt whatever I can find time to hunt. Still learning zones and boundaries. I've seen some promising areas in Corona as well as the San Bernardino mountain area. I'll probably go do pheasant and duck at raahauges this season and may be headed to the high desert for some upland game. I've also been looking into a little family camping trip to the Owens Valley and will try more upland up that way. Right now I'm not really concerned with the kill. Just trying to better my outdoor skills and tracking.
My interest in hunting has sparked interest with my family and they're looking to me to try and figure this out so I can teach them.
I also may have a line on some private access to a state area for boar hunting. Haven't received final word on that but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I live just south of you!
Keep me in mind this fall as I usually hunt quail alone....me and my dogs. Wouldn't say I was "hardcore" but I get out as often as my schedule allows and I have knowledge of some Eastern Sierras as well.

Matt

There is good coyote hunting by you.. I will not totally give you the spot but will help you out with one good pointer... Its by a Golf Course

Thanks. There's a few of those around here but I think I know which one you're talking about. I haven't started scouting up in that area yet but it's on my list.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu