New member here looking for help

Joe D

Jun 24, 2017
I am a new member here , I want to take my 10 year old son rabbit hunting and need help on finding areas I was thinking around the Barstow area and south . I live in Harbor City a small City in the harbor area city's around me that might be more familiar with is San Pedro or Torrance . Any insight would much be appreciated thank you

I've shot cottontails in various places along the Mohave River near Barstow. Lots of jackrabbits there too. The last two seasons have been dismal but this years rains might have helped them rebound. Use google earth and look for brushy areas along the river and away from houses or other buildings. Early morning or late afternoon.

Joe,

Welcome to SCH.......Some really cool areas to hunt rabbits (& scout quail), is the Lake Isabella area.....I'm from Long Beach and the drive isn't that bad (something you'll have to get used to).....Also try Kelso Valley, Jawbone Cyn, and Tehachapi area.....Don't have to hunt high.....Stay low in river bottoms and sage country.

I will say this too......It's really hot out there, so you'll have to hunt real early & late....In the winter, cottontails can be seen almost anytime of day.

Another spot is the Imperial Valley.....Lots 'tails around any of the farmland, especially near the Alamo & New Rivers.

Good luck

Thank you waterdawg and ilovesprig for the info....By chance do one of you know if my 10 yr old needs a license I'm going to sign him up for the hunters safety course just haven't had time he just finished up with baseball.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you waterdawg and ilovesprigs the info by chance do one of you know if my 10 yr old needs a license I'm going to sign him up for the hunters safety course just haven't had time he just finished up with baseball.
Yes he needs a license... it'll be a junior license so it's much cheaper but he'll still need a hunter safety cert.

Joe,

He does need a license in California, if he's going to hunt.....Get his hunter safety course out of the way, then you can buy one for him.

He must be 12 to hunt big game though.

ps......Arizona does not require a hunters safety course.

Joe,

Welcome to SCH.......Some really cool areas to hunt rabbits (& scout quail), is the Lake Isabella area.....I'm from Long Beach and the drive isn't that bad (something you'll have to get used to).....Also try Kelso Valley, Jawbone Cyn, and Tehachapi area.....Don't have to hunt high.....Stay low in river bottoms and sage country.

I will say this too......It's really hot out there, so you'll have to hunt real early & late....In the winter, cottontails can be seen almost anytime of day.

Another spot is the Imperial Valley.....Lots 'tails around any of the farmland, especially near the Alamo & New Rivers.

Good luck
Are those areas that you posted shotgun only. I have a 10 22 ruger that i would like to use to hunt rabbits i live in the los angeles area. Im not looking for anyones hotshots just a general area that would allow me to use my .22lr rifle

Are those areas that you posted shotgun only. I have a 10 22 ruger that i would like to use to hunt rabbits i live in the los angeles area. Im not looking for anyones hotshots just a general area that would allow me to use my .22lr rifle

No....Rifles can be used in any of the areas I mentioned....All NF and BLM.

ps....I really suggest you get a shotgun....Opens lots of opportunities for hunting.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu