new to forum

Re: new from Lake Elsinore

Welcome Brian. I'm an Elsinore / Menifee hunter myself. Great site... enjoy!

briantb said:
Thank you, what do you normally hunt for out here..?

Everything the land has to offer: Dove, quail, pigeon, crow, squirrel, cottontail, jackrabbit, coyote, fox, bobcat. Got a spot or two with weasels. Done a lot of scouting in D15 for deer and always keep a watchful eye for pig signs. That's what I "hunt' for. I don't normally get the quantity the majority on this site get due to the junk availability of hunting spots by us. Everything is overrun with joggers/hikers, offroaders, rec shooters, and trash (people and garbage).

Will hunt Must travel!

Nice...I have only hunted Coyote so far and managed to put one down on my first time out, but not much luck lately, been scouting out some more spots but not much luck......the 1 spot i have (and where i got my 1st coyote) is only 15 min from my house,

Cool man. I've been coyote hunting upwards of 40 times. My first time out with my hunting partner and he bagged one. Since then, we've seen a few but didn't have shots and the majority of the time, we'll get responses, but nothing will come in. I've been JONZ'N to bag my first one.

briantb said:
Nice...I have only hunted Coyote so far and managed to put one down on my first time out, but not much luck lately, been scouting out some more spots but not much luck......the 1 spot i have (and where i got my 1st coyote) is only 15 min from my house,
right now the coyotes are in breeding season. Use howls and coyote in distress calls. They work a lot better then your regular animal distress.

8SteelTown said:
Cool man. I've been coyote hunting upwards of 40 times. My first time out with my hunting partner and he bagged one. Since then, we've seen a few but didn't have shots and the majority of the time, we'll get responses, but nothing will come in. I've been JONZ'N to bag my first one.
Do you hunt for them here locally or out in the desert..?

Been trying locally more than anything else. The problem with local is the small areas and the high counts of hikers, off roaders, and recreational shooters. They spook the dogs more often than not. Sucks when you're working stands and getting responses and some dip$hit comes flying by on a dirt bike. No ill will on their part but it kills me still.

Ha Ha , that sounds exactly like my spot....I only go there during the week since i work nights..not as bad

briantb said:
Ha Ha , that sounds exactly like my spot....I only go there during the week since i work nights..not as bad

Yeah, that's the best way to go after them in our area. You get like a 1 hour window on the weekend before people start showing up scoffing at you for sitting there with a gun in your hands or being as loud as they can. Had a jogger go past me the other day and startled me cuz he came out of nowhere... he looked at me and said "are you going to shoot me". I wanted to say "Yes, for asking an idiotic question like that", but knew better not to.

TaftHunter said:
briantb said:
right now the coyotes are in breeding season. Use howls and coyote in distress calls. They work a lot better then your regular animal distress.

I was just talking to my hunting partner about that today actually. Planning on running a higher pitch pup call to grab attention without scaring anything off, then an old male and a female distress...

Might be a different area, never seen any joggers at the spot I go to but it is a recreational shooting spot out here...if ya want , in a pm I will share my spot if you share yours...

8SteelTown said:
Been trying locally more than anything else. The problem with local is the small areas and the high counts of hikers, off roaders, and recreational shooters. They spook the dogs more often than not. Sucks when you're working stands and getting responses and some dip$hit comes flying by on a dirt bike. No ill will on their part but it kills me still.

Public land don't ya just love it. that was my scene last year. during deer hunt. joggers yelling while running by. bikers cruising by, hikers walking by while it's raining. lol it's hard to find areas with few encounters.

Welcome to the SCH Website briantb...

Bagged another one today, gotta get ready for work, will post report and pics tonig

briantb said:
Bagged another one today, gotta get ready for work, will post report and pics tonig

Bastardo! Congrats dude. I'll have to take a day off and we'll go hit some local stands...

Thanks, so stoked.....actually went to scout a new area in the cnf and only brought my shotgun...:)

8SteelTown said:
Bastardo! Congrats dude. I'll have to take a day off and we'll go hit some local stands...

I have presidents day off, feb 17th, you off that day..?

I plan on making a day of it heading east toward palm springs or toward salton sea area, not sure which yet but your more than welcome to come with....

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu