New to hunting and SD area

TWOR88

Dec 17, 2012
My name is Travis, I'm from Oregon but the wife is from San Diego area and we just moved back here. I've been wanting to get in to hunting for a lot of years now but work has always got in the way. Ready to get out there and learn all about it. I'm from small towns and did a lot of fishing as a kid but never got to go hunting. I love the outdoors and can't wait to get out again. I've started reading up on the licensing and tags. Any advice on where to start? I appreciate any help ya'll can give.

Travis

Welcome Travis. First and foremost, get yourself into a hunters safety program and get certified. Can't go hunting if you can't buy a license. Depending on where you live, there are plenty around the county. This is a good time to look for a class too since it's sort of the in between time. Not much going on till Turkey at the end of March.

Good luck!

Welcome to the site Travis. These guys already have you pointed in the right direction to get started in Cal.
What kind of hunting are you interested in?

Wecome aboard Travis. Same that everyone else said on the hunters saftey course but I'd also add buy yourself a CNF quadrangle and contact BLM and buy a couple BLM maps so you can have some ideas where to start. Then cross that with google earth and do some hiking. It may help fill the void between class and season.
Good Luck!!!

I moved to SD from Texas 9 years ago and I learned a few things from my hunting buddies/coworkers.

1. Start collecting preference points in AZ and other western states. I put in for AZ, CO, WY, ID, and MT for various species including elk, mule deer, goat, and sheep. Some states you can buy points only (CO, WY), and other states you earn points if you are not drawn.

2. You can not earn preference points in ID, but they have the best odds to draw a mt goat tag. MT has the best big horn sheep hunting and least expensive tags.

3.There are actually companies that help you (for a price) complete the application process. For a few years I used Cabelas Tags to learn more about the system, but now I do it on my own.

4. Archery hunting will provide you with many more hunting opportunities (in and out of CA).

5. AZ has an over the county archery tags for mule deer or coues deer. It is good for the entire deer season (sept-jan) and does not use up preference points you earn. The hunting tags are also good for the calendar year. I purchase my lisence and tag in January 2012 and hunt coues deer or mule deer during january and feb. If I'm not successful, I can still use that tag in september 2012...and still collect preference points! This is a loop hole in thier system. Good areas to hunt are national forest land in the south and southwest section of AZ for coues deer. They are found at the higher elevations and there are usually enough trees for a tree stand.

4. Apply or get preference points for CA deer, elk, and antelope hunts. I usually put in for the Goodale hunt, then after the draw purchase a archery only tag.

5. There are lots of bear hunting opportunities in CA.

6. Take advantage of the good trail systems most of the national forest in CA have. If you are willing to hump it, you can get in some good backcountry hunting areas for bear and deer in the Sierra's.

I'll stop there for now before I give away my secret spots!
good luck.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu