New to hunting from San Diego

Sounds like a great experience.

What time do they let you into Sutherland to hunt? I ask because 6 AM seems a little late to find a spot. I like to be in my spot and sitting still around a half hour before shoot time. That may have been why those birds were already off the roost and walking away.

Sounds like a great experience.

What time do they let you into Sutherland to hunt? I ask because 6 AM seems a little late to find a spot. I like to be in my spot and sitting still around a half hour before shoot time. That may have been why those birds were already off the roost and walking away.

The gates open at 4:00 am...And yes, 6:00 am is a little since flydown can be anywhere from 6:05-6:20.

Sounds like fun...thanks for the report. I’ll be hunting Corral in a couple weeks and am definitely looking forward to it.

Zak,

We were in Brown's that morning.. I think I met you and your lady while signing in. I saw you guys roll in at 6am.. there was already a tom gobbling hard toward the back of the Corral and one closer to the creek. I thought you guys would've set up deeper into the Corral but oh well. The one closer to the creek was double gobbling for a bit responding to my calls (Flydown mouth call) but was hung up not wanting to cross to us. Later in the morning I also saw a big gobbler in Camp Hope but I had no play on him. The Bloomdale guys saw a bunch of birds but couldn't get into bow range apparently. We had no birds in our area all day.38929

Zak,

We were in Brown's that morning.. I think I met you and your lady while signing in. I saw you guys roll in at 6am.. there was already a tom gobbling hard toward the back of the Corral and one closer to the creek. I thought you guys would've set up deeper into the Corral but oh well. The one closer to the creek was double gobbling for a bit responding to my calls (Flydown mouth call) but was hung up not wanting to cross to us. Later in the morning I also saw a big gobbler in Camp Hope but I had no play on him. The Bloomdale guys saw a bunch of birds but couldn't get into bow range apparently. We had no birds in our area all day.
SurfNHuntSD,

Yeah that was us! If I'm recognizing the area in the picture correctly, we didn't check out that area until late afternoon.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu