New to hunting, lost in the woods

cannibal

Jan 1, 2013
So first off, I'm entirely clueless!
I have good google-fu but was unable to find any primers on hunting or anything that was relative to this state. I don't have anyone in my family that hunts, half of them tend not to talk to me because i own firearms ::)
I'm literally starting from square one. I can figure out how to get a hunting license, but I'm not sure what the tags are all about. I don't know how to strip a deer or where i would send it to get processed. Not that any of it matters because i don't even know where i can go hunting in San Diego ;D
I think hunting season ended for deer, so I have plenty of time to get my s#!t together.
Deer is what I'm after hence me posting in this forum, if there's a better forum for this post I'll move it there.
If anyone can recommend a book, provide links, or even just point me in the right direction i would really appreciate it!
If I'm too broad in my cluelessness let me know and I'll try and narrow it down to more specific questions.

Thanks in advance!

Billy

1. Search through the old threads. Tons of information on places to try in the San Diego area.

2. Get a map of the Cleveland National Forest. You can get this at any of your local ranger stations. http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/cleveland/about-forest/districts

3. Start researching the fish and game website. http://www.dfg.ca.gov/

4. Put in some leg work and scout an area......

Knock out hunters safety also. Have to do that before you can buy a hunting liscense. Doug at Doug's Wilderness Adventures offer hunters safety.

www.dougswildernessadventures.com check out his website for dates and times of classes

Ajsnack: Good to know, Thanks!

Breacher: Lots of good leads, I appreciate it. I'll ready up and then go take a hike, get myself familiar with potential areas.

x2 on both the above. Also, don't stress to much; licenses are valid July 1-June 30 of the next year. So, unless you are gonna go crazy and try and hunt pigs, turkey, or... Really that's all big stuff that is happening the rest of the 12/13 season. There are some other stuff but if your focus is deer, heres my .02. Get your CNF map and hike like crazy on any national land you find. It will get you in shape, get you familiar with the area and good chance see some game. ;D
Good luck

SD county has a good amount of private property so knocking on doors and asking for permission will give you a chance at some prime hunting grounds. Just remember that you HAVE to have written permission.

Also don't limit yourself just to deer, our deer season is short for rifle hunters and we have some of the best turkey hunting in the state. As a matter of fact I believe we are one of the top 10 counties in California for turkey take.

I've read magazines, books, articles online... Other people learn in different ways, but I always learn these types of skills best when I have a mentor. I've been hunting, mostly unsuccessfully, since my late teens. If you can find a mentor to show you how to do it (the hunting part, that is), the rest is easy. Here are a few pointers that may help:

1. The first deer I field dressed, I did it by following an instruction card. Yes, laid that fold-out, waterproof instruction guide out on the hillside, and started cutting. If you've ever gutted a rabbit, or other small mammal, the same principles apply. You can find plenty of youtube videos illustrating this, so watch a bunch of those, and you'll be ready.

2. Save yourself a lot of pain: don't try to drag a deer more than a couple hundred yards. I once met a man who was 73 years old, dragging a deer he had shot that morning. He had shot it at 9:00. I met him at 4:00 PM. He still had a mile to go. I offered to help him, so off we went. That buck just about killed both of us, even though it was wrapped in a tarp, the ground was level, and the trail well-established. I ran into him later that week, and he said that when he got it to the butcher, it weighed 195 lbs (field dressed and dragged all day in the sun). Dragging deer is no fun. Get yourself a cart for those medium-length hauls (1 mile or less). For hauls longer than a mile, get a large, framed backpack. Learn to debone the carcase, pack it in bags, stuff it in the pack, and walk out. You'll be glad you did.

3. Butchering: years ago, a buddy lent me a VHS series about butchering your own deer. Some of the stuff I had already figured out, but there were some good pointers on it. I'm sure you can find some good stuff on Youtube on how to do it yourself. I find that if I get a lightweight food storage bag (not ziploc), or produce bags, wrap each cut in that and squeeze the air out as I roll the meat up in it, then wrap in butcher paper, it will last about a year (sometimes more) in the freezer. You can get it professionally done, but it will cost you $100-$150. Also, de-boning in the field negates the need for butchering, unless you don't have a meat grinder.

4. Gutless deboning: my hunting partner was skeptical, but this method I read about a while back really works, and can save you some time and effort, especially if you're packing it out. Here's a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZsO4tsrKPw and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXuOq4jz34A&list=PL91058FB839915299
The first video didn't show how to remove the front shoulder, but if you begin underneath it and work your way up to the joint, and cut through the tendons and ligaments, it comes right off. If you're into eating the heart and liver, you'll obviously have to go in and get those afterward.

5. Havalon knives are cool!

6. Get good optics- binoculars, scopes, rangefinders, spotting scopes, etc. The general rule of thumb is "buy the most expensive ones you can afford". For me, that means a lot of Leupold glass. For others, that means Swarovski.

7. Bow 'n Arrow shop in Lakeside, if you're an archer, or want to be. And you should want to be.

8. When you find a spot that has deer, but no people, make sure you PM me. ONLY me. Otherwise, you won't be alone next time you hunt there. Remember, only tell El Matavenados. ;-)

9. Quail and coyotes are no fun to hunt, so make sure you give me the gps coordinates of every single one you see. I'll take care of them for you.

10. CA deer are internet savvy. They know PRECISELY when the season opens and closes. They will stand there and look at you from 30 yards 1 week before the season, but you won't get near them when it's open. They also know that you're not allowed to shoot them with a rifle in the recreation area on Laguna. So you'll see plenty of them staring at you from 60 yards away when you have a bow in your hands. Put a rangefinder up to your face, though, and they're gone.

11. While you're buying maps, you might as well get the BLM Maps for SD County. CNF isn't the only place to hunt around here.

Go get 'em!

Wowwwww...lot's of great input from the SCH members. Nice job folks!

wow Nice El, did say you read mags or write for them?

Cannibal, I agree with El, see how he speaks with authority. See any deer and no people, quail or yotes you should pm him immediately.

El, see what I did there? ;D

First off, welcome. You've found yourself a good starting place and are off in the right direction. Lots of knowledge to be pried out of these fellas on here.

Second, prepare to tick some people off. Whether you bag a nice buck, down a good bear, run into an anti, or come home smelling like death, you're bound to ruffle some feathers on any number of fronts with someone you know or don't know. The important thing is, to keep going. There are plenty of people in this state who are out there trying to prevent YOU, yes you, from getting out there and killing deer, or bear, or bobcats, or anything anyone can put a "cute" or "majestic" label on. 75% of this state just doesn't get it. So be ready for that.

Third; just get out there. If you spend all your time buying gear that others think you need, you'll end up with a trailer full of stuff that, most likely, you'll never carry into the field. Trust me, I did the same thing. I started from scratch and thought I needed it all. A cart, a multitude of different knives, a bipod, a big backpack to carry more stuff in; all of it's gone and I've finally gotten down to what I really need. Not what everyone else said I had to have.

My first wild pig I shot two miles from the nearest road. I gutted it and dragged it, the entire way, alone. I was tired, covered in blood, and stank to high heaven, but I did it by myself, and I'm glad I did. Would I do it again? Hell no. But I learned. And I'm all the better for it.

Fourth; read, read, and read some more. Whether it's on this website or another (hopefully you can find all you need here) just learn what you can. There's a lot of crap, yes, and there's a lot of people who seem to know it all. Glean what you need from all those words and go into the field a better hunter, and better yet, a better person. This sport needs all the responsible sportsman we can get. It's only the bad eggs who make the news, you'll learn.

Anyways, if you've made it this far thru this rant, congrats. You made it farther than I ever did in my first year in the sport. Now get out there and do us proud!

The above post by SoCalRebelHunter is outstanding. Heed his advice as it is sound. Get out there and just do it. The rewards can't be put into words.

NBK said:
The above post by SoCalRebelHunter is outstanding. Heed his advice as it is sound. Get out there and just do it. The rewards can't be put into words.

Much appreciated NBK. We all have to learn somehow. Might as well get the guy started on the right foot!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu