New to hunting

Random question.....when you clean an animal in the field and pack it out, do you take the hide with you? All the stuff I've watched doesn't show and doesn't say.
Most of the time, no. If you want to do a shoulder mount though, you'll need to cape the deer. YouTube has plenty of videos on how to do that. Bears a lot of guys skin it out and roll it up to pack out to save.

Haha sorry, should've been more clear. How early before the season do you start scouting?
Always good to scout year round. I would obviously avoid walking around the forest aimlessly during a major season like general deer season though. Also, the spring dispersal (Feb-Mar) will send turkeys out into areas they typically aren't, so it's a good idea to scout hard during this time. For example, one of the places I turkey hunt, they only show up in Feb and stay until hunters start hammering them in the first week or two of the season. Then they slink back into private land...

Reactions: ilovesprig
Random question.....when you clean an animal in the field and pack it out, do you take the hide with you? All the stuff I've watched doesn't show and doesn't say.
I would suggest you at least do it a couple of times and go thru the process of fleshing and tanning the hide yourself. It *is* a bit of work. The fleshing part is, anyway. (Finally ordered a fleshing knife so hopefully the next time it'll be significantly easier) But I look at it like you are fully using that animal, and I mean, how cool is it to have that hide with the fur afterward! I'm hoping to one day make a jacket out of them once I've got enough hides to do it. Have also thrown around some thoughts about costume usages. Also... they make amazing gifts since it's by your own hand. Obviously you'd have to know the recipient would be down for receiving that kinda thing, but you get my point.

Reactions: D_unit760

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu