New To Hunting!

kannamike

Jun 14, 2013
San Gabriel Valley
Hey Hunters, I'm new to hunting and in desperate need of some help. I've been scouting a few times . I went this weekend 7/28/13 in lake arrowhead area in search of some rabbit. No luck. I saw some deer scat and some quail but no rabbit. With my 22 I have a reasonable grouping at 25 yrds and can hit the target at 50 yrds with iron sights. I have a single shot, shotgun that I just got but haven't been skeet shooting yet. I have a license to hunt, a car, and a backpack. I'm looking for someone to go out hunting with or some info on hunting. It would be much appreciated. Thank You

Welcome to SCH.
So many variables to hunting. Maybe there are rabbits there you were just there at a bad time, maybe there not there and you need to try a new spot. Stick with it and keep scouting but enjoy your time outdoors.

Welcome to the site Kannamike... You're a little too far north from me, but the best thing you can do is get out MORE and MORE. Scout as much as you can... There should be TONS of spots up by you. Don't get frustrated, just keep searching. Over the last 3 years, my hunting area has gone from 2-3 spots to upwards of 15-20 by putting in the time and the legwork myself. Post up some pictures when you start getting results.

The shotgun is going to be an important piece for an "upland" hunter, so you probably want to get out and shoot that thing a bunch to know your capabilities... don't get me wrong, a 22 is fun and has good reach, but the shotgun is a very versitile piece to your aresnal. Enjoy.

Glad to have you on SCH Kannamike. Good advice above...keep getting out there and stick with it. Also become involved on the forum. Your will meet new people and before you know it people will be asking you to hunt with them!

Thanks for the word of encouragement! I'm going to the shooting range tomorrow. I got a couple of friends to go up there with me this weekend, This time I'm gonna camp out for couple of days. I'll post up some pics if I'm successful.

Thanks again you guys

No luck on that camping trip! Saw a bunch of bear , deer and coyote tracks but no rabbits. I found a game trail that I followed to a meadow and creek. It was full of fern and berry and grasses. I thought this has to be it. So I hung out there and waited for hours. Nothing. The next day woke up before sun rise hike further along the creek and found another meadow. Hung out there for hours. Nothing! Just saw a couple huge bear scats. When I become more of hunter and I decide to hunt deer and bear I know where to go.

Most of my family is from San Diego. From East lake to Escondido. From Temacula to Ramona. I have So much Family down there from both my Moms and Dad side. They said I could come down to go hunting. If you guys are interesting in teaching a newbie I am there. I really want some one to show me the ropes. I know from the forums that most of you guys are from San Diego. It would be MUCH appreciated.

Mason_0890 said:
Hey, I'm from big bear and looking for more people to hunt/scout with. Maybe if your interested we could meet up sometime and check out the grounds. The summer time my schedule is pretty sporadic though.

That would be awesome

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu