NEW TO ME DOG

BRDRGRD

Oct 18, 2014
I have adopted a retired Customs and Border Protection dog. He's just turning 10 years old but doesn't act like it. He was a champion drug dog and also loves retrieving anything we can throw for him. He's a black Labrador so I think the hunting instinct is in there somewhere. What do you think the best way to teach this kind of dog to retrieve birds would be?

Welcome to the SCH website and forum BRDRGRD.

I am sure you will get your answer here. There are a lot of folks with dogs and a few dog trainers here on the site. It might be a good question for Snake Charmer...

BRDRGRD- The proverb about teaching an old dog new and tricks is founded in truth. That said a dog with the level of intelligence that it takes to be a C&BP dog is a bit different (You own a upper tier intelligence pooch). Check his prey drive by putting a wing clip bird in front of him and see if he is interested. If you like bring him up and we'll put a bird out and see how he behaves and give you an opinion. PM me if you want and we'll set something up.

Again Fred of "High on Kennels" highonkennels.com has offered up his time to help folks.

SCH appreciates all you do for the folks on this forum Fred. You are always willing to give your time back to the sport. That's a big deal.

I have two dogs that were trained @ "High on Kennels" and both dogs are very good hunters. In fact, better than I deserve.

Just saying...

Buy some pigeons and put 'em out in a field. You will find out real fast if you have a bird dog.

He's turning 10 years old you're wasting your time it's body won't hang like a young dog. To old not saying you can't do retrieve but it can't hunt all day either

With vey few exceptions all of the CBP and USBP detection K9's are trained for passive indication.
Sit and stare at the source of the trained odor, very similar to a pointer.
With that being said, teaching that dog a new odor shouldn't take too much if he still has the hunt and prey drive.
Although if you intend to use him for dove and quail you may be better off using him just as a retriever to save his energy.
I figure well over half my hunting time is spent trying to find invisible dead quail in that damn tanglefoot crap.
Having a sniffer to sort that out for you would be an improvement even if he never turns into a flusher or pointer.

PS - That dog served his country well an earned his retirement, if he isn't having fun please don't force the issue.
Thanks for adopting the old guy, hopefully he finds a new joy in finding you birds and hanging out in the brush.

As Fred pointed out, the key will be prey drive. You mentioned that you would simply use him for retrieving (as opposed to upland hunting). If he's sitting in a California blind all day, and retrieving only a handful of birds, he would probably be fine. I think Fred is also correct in that a lot of old dogs that haven't been in training their whole lives never learned how to learn, if that makes sense (much like humans who never learned how to learn), have trouble learning new skills later in life. But your dog was highly trained, so learning a new game may not present a problem if he loves birds. So get that wing-clipped pigeon out, and see how he responds.

I would also recommend that you get involved in one of the training clubs. In San Diego, there's the San Diego Sporting Dog Club (contact me for more details). In the Inland Empire there's the Inland Valley Retriever Club. You'll meet a lot of good people who are very willing to help you as you train your dog.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu