New to reloading and I need some advice.

a_gonzalez

Nov 5, 2012
Perris
Hey guys and gals,
So I recently became interested in reloading and I have been looking into it and it is a lot of info to take in. Well first off, I want to start reloading for my 30-06. I was thinking of Sierra Gameking 150gr and either IMR4350, H4350, or Superformance for the powder. Since I want to do this as a hobby just to kill time and tinker with something new I want to keep the cost down, I was going to purchase the Classic Lee Loader, that hand one. But then after I thought I had it all figured out, I realized people can either use a scale to weigh the powder or they can use those dippers for the powder to measure by volume. So my question is, what powder would you guys recommend for 150gr bullet and since I am a newbie, trying to keep cost down and ease of use, would you recommend a scale or those dippers for the powder. One other thing, this load will be to hunt Mule Deer, Coyote, and maybe some wild pigs if I get a chance. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all. ;D

Fine Firearms has the Lee 50th Anniversary Reloading Press Kit in stock for $139. A great starter kit with everything you need to load accurate rounds!

Attachments

• lee.jpg
    lee.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 209
Thanks, NBK I didn't know that kit was so inexpensive. I think I might just go with that one instead since it seems to have everything I need.

I've been able to find plenty of components lately. Just have to search a little harder than a year ago.

Lee has the cheapest presses on the market. A Dillon kit will run you about $500 and that's just for the basics. I use a Lee Turret press and it works just fine. It's expensive to get started but once you have everything the costs go down. Powder will cost you a lot if you order it online, so try to buy local if you can. I just spent $130 for 3lbs because no one local had the powder I use in stock ($45 S&H because of the hazmat fee).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok so I am all set to reload but I want to add a reloading manual with my components. Since I am thinking of just using Sierra bullets for now, should I buy the Sierra Reloading Manual or would you guys recommend the Lyman Reloading Manual? Thanks for everyones help again.

Definitely get the Sierra manual if that is the bullet you will be shooting. Different bullets create different pressures.

How did I not know about this, thats crazy. Thanks for letting me know about the ban I might just have to switch to Barnes bullet then. But since a have a lot of the Sierra bullets I guess I can get the Sierra manual and start hunting coyotes with my 30-06. OH WELL ;)

Don't panic. The lead ban does not go into effect for 5 years. And it will get challenged way before then.

Load away!

You should also pick up the Lee book if you're able too. Tons of data on every load. I always reference multiple sources to work up a new load. They all seem to have different stuff in them.

I use all Lee stuff. I went cheapie and bought the handpress. Works fine for what I shoot. I also went to Harbor Freight and bought a cheapie battery powered scale. It works and is accurate to a grain which works for me. The case trimmer works too although it does look funky.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu