New to SO Cal...(Mission Valley)

Midwest_Hunter

Mar 6, 2013
Hey guys I am new to California as I have just returned from 3 years in Japan. I am looking to get back into hunting and fine tune my knowledge and gain more. I am a bow hunter for all game mostly but I do have rifles and shotguns for other game as well. I have spent most of my time hunting in the Midwest and up in WA state so I do not know anything about this area or where to head off to start scouting with my trail cams. Would like to find a hunting buddy as well, maybe take me as a padawan learner... lol. I do not have much for friends out here so I have a lot of free time to get out in the woods (as soon as I find them at least) there is too much concrete around here for me as I tend to enjoy smaller town living. Any and all advise would be much appreciated and look forward to interacting with all.

Welcome Midwest,

Head east on the I-8 and start exploring the Cleveland National Forest. Lots of hunting opportunites. Get yourself a Cleveland Natl. Forest map from your nearest ranger station. Also, you can get up to the Dept. of Fish and Game office at 3883 Ruffin Road, San Diego. Tons of free literature there for you.

Well Breacher beat me to the (get on 8 and head east) to the CFN.

So grab your bow and head up to Alpine Saturday for the 3d shoot. You will meet some people there.
Also to meet people buy your ticket for the 2nd annual SCH banquet on Sunday from 10:00- 4:00 at El Monte park in Lakeside.

I did not know about anything on Ruffin road but I will head up there.

The closest Ranger station from from I am assuming is in Alpine is that correct?

I am not much of a competition shooter for 3D events. I have never done all that.

Midwest_Hunter said:
I did not know about anything on Ruffin road but I will head up there.

The closest Ranger station from from I am assuming is in Alpine is that correct?

I am not much of a competition shooter for 3D events. I have never done all that.

Yep, Alpine would be the closest. I would get not only the CNF map but the topo atlas as well. If you are at all into Archery, I'd recommend checking out http://www.lemongrovegunclub.com/. The second Saturday of each month is open to the public for a 3-D shoot and its a ton of fun.

Well I went out and got a bunch of INFO from the DFW and got both the map and atlas for CNF so not it is all about planning and scouting. The lady at DFW said that zones D-16 and D-12 were drawing only? It sounds like D-19 is the closest zone that is one to buy a tag for???

The lady gave you some bad info on the D-16. 6 days ago there were 1318 tags available. The D-12 is a draw tag.
http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php/topic,3760.msg20715.html#msg20715
The local tag for our area is the D-16

Lungpopper said:
The lady gave you some bad info on the D-16. 6 days ago there were 1318 tags available. The D-12 is a draw tag.
http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php/topic,3760.msg20715.html#msg20715

OK so if this is an open zone (not needing to apply for a drawing) How does it work to buy a license since this will be my first hunt here in Cali? I see you have to buy a general hunting license for $45.. What does and does not come on that cause I see tags for deer, bear and whatever else at a different price. This is not how it works in Missouri. lol for $20 I can get 2 deer tags and 2 turkey tags there.... ;D

Midwest_Hunter said:
Lungpopper said:

OK so if this is an open zone (not needing to apply for a drawing) How does it work to buy a license since this will be my first hunt here in Cali? I see you have to buy a general hunting license for $45.. What does and does not come on that cause I see tags for deer, bear and whatever else at a different price. This is not how it works in Missouri. lol for $20 I can get 2 deer tags and 2 turkey tags there.... ;D

The hunting license is just the privilege to hunt. You still need to buy the D-16 tag if you want to hunt deer in San Diego. You get stamps for birds. Unfortunately you're not in Missouri anymore. Here the state enjoys bending people over and screwing them with outrageous taxes and fees.

For area D-16 it looks like the A-22 zone takes up the majority of that area. I am not sure what it means. Can you hunt archery with a general D-16 tag or do you need to hunt only firearms with this tag?

I understand that an archery only means archery only but you can hunt during both season.

The boundary for A-22 and D-16 seem to be the same thing.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/deer/docs/maps/arch22_300.pdf

D-16 and A-22 archery start on the same day, Sept 7. They will end on different days, (I haven't looked them up yet).
D-16 is buck only and A-22 is either sex. (Don't shoot a spike that is longer than 3")
D-16 has a larger area than A-22. A-22 is San Diego county only and D-16 goes all the way out to the 111 in El Centro.
D-16 has a general (RIFLE) season also. About the last week of D-16 A-22 will start again and run to Dec 31

OK. :) I am working through all this info to figure things out but sometimes its just worded funny. ??? Thanks for the help.

Midwest_Hunter said:
OK. :) I am working through all this info to figure things out but sometimes its just worded funny. ??? Thanks for the help.

Ask away, between all of us we'll get you set straight.

They only told you to take 8-east because they're trying to lure you away from their spots... :) Just kidding.

They gave you some great advice, but you gotta get out and start looking. There's a lot of private land around this neck of the woods so be sure you know how to read and understand a map. It could save you some money in legal fees later.

Good luck!

SoCalRebelHunter said:
They only told you to take 8-east because they're trying to lure you away from their spots... :) Just kidding.

They gave you some great advice, but you gotta get out and start looking. There's a lot of private land around this neck of the woods so be sure you know how to read and understand a map. It could save you some money in legal fees later.

Good luck!

I would love to get out and search, scout, and tromp through the woods but its not exactly in my power to do so at this point since I am nursing a broken leg. Grant it, I an walk but up and down a terrain would seem very much painful in my current state.

Prolly a really stupid question but what camo patterns are needed for southern cali? I think I have Mossy oak real tree in cool and cold weather attire.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu