NEW TO SOCAL

noryk1234

Jul 21, 2013
So I'm stationed here on camp Pendleton, been here for 3 years all Ive done as far as hunting is just rabbit and dove hunt. I'm an avid whittail and duck hunter back home (Florida) and its been 3 years since Ive done any serious hunting and I cant take it anymore.Ive got my bow, my shotgun, and ill have my rifle here in November. whats the best advice for someone starting out hunting in socal, I'm interested in taking any big game mainly deer and hog but I'm open to anything. any help would be much appreciated. thanks y'all

welcome to so cal bro...i think ur best bet would proly be an AO tag cus A22 and D16 sold out FAST!! AO being ARCHERY ONLY u can still hunt D16 zone with that tag and any other sourounding zones. i know camp pen does offer a tag for there area but not sure if its sold out...
im sure other members on here will help u out with what u\else u need to know.

Will your at the right place for info that's for sure. You just have some digging in the forums and a little reading. If you have questions just post them

Welcome to the SCH website Noryk. And thank you for serving!

So how does the whole tag thing work? Everywhere I've hunted mainly Alabama and Florida it's as easy as getting your hunting license and walkin to the woods and setting up wherever you want. I just have never hunted zones or tags or anything

u can purchase ur lic/tag at any local sporting goods or even walmart.its like 80 buck total (resident) the zones are ur sourounding areas/countys u can hunt,AO tag is good for any sorounding zone as long as its a buck that is harvested.u can go to dfg.ca.gov to look at ur zones but like i said d16 is the zone ur in and d15 is just above it but idk anyone whos ever hunted d15?...but if i were u i would just get AO being that D16 is sold out cus i know los padres national forest has got some big bucks.good luck

My 2 cents: D15 (Orange County / West Riverside County) seems like it'd be a good spot but you have a VERY THICK setup on the West Cleveland National Forest up by Ortega Highway. Very hard to hunt if you don't already have a honey hole. Just make sure you stay away from state parks... there's one off Ortega that looks GREAT but we aren't allowed to hunt there. There ARE deer in D15... I've almost hit a couple of them each morning I drive to work... the terrain is very thick though. Good luck and thank you for your service sir!

BowHuntinCali said:
u can purchase ur lic/tag at any local sporting goods or even walmart.its like 80 buck total (resident) the zones are ur sourounding areas/countys u can hunt,AO tag is good for any sorounding zone as long as its a buck that is harvested.u can go to dfg.ca.gov to look at ur zones but like i said d16 is the zone ur in and d15 is just above it but idk anyone whos ever hunted d15?...but if i were u i would just get AO being that D16 is sold out cus i know los padres national forest has got some big bucks.good luck
maybe i didnt undertsand that lAST PART OF UR POST, BUT, D16 IS CLEAVELAND NATIONAL FOREST, not los padres

noryk1234 said:
So how does the whole tag thing work? Everywhere I've hunted mainly Alabama and Florida it's as easy as getting your hunting license and walkin to the woods and setting up wherever you want. I just have never hunted zones or tags or anything

Check with the Star Card services desk at the Main MCX and see if there are any G10 tags still remaining. This is for the Military only for hunting on the base. I am stationed down in North Island and that is how I got my tag for base there.

JoseC. said:
BowHuntinCali said:
maybe i didnt undertsand that lAST PART OF UR POST, BUT, D16 IS CLEAVELAND NATIONAL FOREST, not los padres
ohh ok not to familiar with that area...kinda just guestimanted

You are stationed on a great base for hunting. Start here, its a great group.

http://www.sportsmansclub.net

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu