New to the Area

CritJoe

Jul 7, 2012
Hey all. I'm a Marine currently stationed in Okinawa, Japan but I will be PCSing to Camp Pendleton around October. I'm originally from Alabama and love to hunt but I've never been to California. What all is there to hunt around the area? Not just on base but in surrounding area as well. I've heard about some deer and some wild pig hunting but that's about all I've heard.

I'm mainly interested in rifle hunting but once I get a shotgun may pick up some bird hunting. Also does anyone know if you can hunt with a rifle on base? I've heard it's bow only and that you can use a rifle from two different sources so I'm a bit confused on that.

Welcome aboard and thank you so much for serving our country! You have come to the right place regarding hunting Southern California. There is good hunting to those who don't mind spending a little time and effort. In fact, the deer hunting can be excellent. Bird hunting is good and the dove hunting is extremely good.

I do believe you can hunt on base with a fifle but others on here no better than I.

Again - thanks for all you do!

Thank you I appreciate it. I've heard that there are mountain lions in the region. Is there a season for them in the area? Or are they protected/illegal to hunt?

Joe,

Welcome to the site. You will find some really good people with great experience here.

Camp Pendleton you can hunt with Bow, Rifle and shotgun, it really depends on the area. There is plenty of hunting off base in the Cleveland National Forest areas.

I am military also and have been hunting Pendleton for the last 6 years or so. I also grew up in Alabama (Tuscaloosa; Holt neighborhood) and will be more than willing to help you out. Feel free to PM with your email address and we can chat.

Dee

Hey Joe,

You will need to get your hunting license and your tags asap. Let us know if you need help and we will set you up with a link to the DFG site where you can get this stuff...

Bowhunter_619 said:
also grew up in Alabama (Tuscaloosa; Holt neighborhood)

Ruh-roo Tuscaloosa? War Eagle my friend! But sounds like a deal I'll hit you up with a PM soon.

War Eagle??? Yep Roll Tide here but no worries; we are outdoorsman fighting for the same cause....Looking forward to hearing from you.

Dee

NBK said:
Hey Joe,

You will need to get your hunting license and your tags asap. Let us know if you need help and we will set you up with a link to the DFG site where you can get this stuff...

How soon do I need to get this stuff? I mean it's still July..do tags really go that quick around that area?

I would make a move within the next couple of weeks.

Here are the tag numbers that were left as of last Tuesday:

AO = 97,415
A = 54,731
B = 23,971
D3-5 = 24,251
D6 = 1725
D7 = 3490
D8 = 5844
D9 = 179
D10 = 468
D11 = 4573
D13 = 3107
D14 = 2048
D15 = 1351
D16 = 969
D19 = 1076
A17 (X9B) = 47
A18 (X9C) = 230
A19 (X10) = 86
A32 = 173

I will post the new numbers tomorrow.

NBK said:
I would make a move within the next couple of weeks.

Here are the tag numbers that were left as of last Tuesday:

AO = 97,415
A = 54,731
B = 23,971
D3-5 = 24,251
D6 = 1725
D7 = 3490
D8 = 5844
D9 = 179
D10 = 468
D11 = 4573
D13 = 3107
D14 = 2048
D15 = 1351
D16 = 969
D19 = 1076
A17 (X9B) = 47
A18 (X9C) = 230
A19 (X10) = 86
A32 = 173

I will post the new numbers tomorrow.

Where can I find what all that means? I've been in Okinawa for three years and I'm a bit rusty.

Joe,

Click on the link below. Then on the right side of the page (about halfway down), click on the 2012 California Hunting Digest. It will load up a PDF which will have all of the answers and maps you need to understand which zone to hunt. It is likely you will want to hunt D16.

http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/

You have found the right website that is for sure. I also am in the military but I am stationed in Coronado and my brother is stationed at Pendleton. I moved out here early this and have used the information from the people on this website to try and figure the rules and regulations of California out. It has helped. When you get to Camp Pendleton be sure to stop by the Game Warden station on base, I talked with them earlier this year and they were not positive how the tags were going to work to on base. Camp Pendleton is G10 on the zone map and D16 is San Diego county. If you have questions you can PM me also, but the guys on here are very helpful and informative. Have a good one!

Snack

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu