New to the West

DirtNapCity

Jun 8, 2018
29 Palms, CA
Hello all,
Currently out of the country but plan to HOPEFULLY be back in time for the CA general season opener in D14. I'm not new to hunting by any means however I may as well be in regards to hunting SoCal lol. I did manage to get into D11 during the latter part of the general season last year only to be broken off by the extremely underestimated terrain. Was lucky enough to see a few does and a ton of sheep but no antlers.
Unfortunately I don't expect to make back in time for any scouting prior to Oct so I'll be dead heading into D14, not ideal but better than not getting out at all. Hoping to gather info in regards to D14 deer/bear, not looking for "honey holes" or even locations in general. I'm committed to hunting the San G Wilderness and would appreciate info in reference to general deer activity, Elev, food sources, general time frames of the rut, etc...

Thanks to all in advance and good luck to everyone in the coming seasons!

DNC,

Welcome to SCH....Can't help you much with D-14, but can say that Google Earth and ONX Maps are your friends.....Internet scouting before going out is very popular in new areas to all of us.....Good luck

Reactions: DirtNapCity
DNC,

Welcome to SCH....Can't help you much with D-14, but can say that Google Earth and ONX Maps are your friends.....Internet scouting before going out is very popular in new areas to all of us.....Good luck

Thank ya Sir.. Believe me I have looked at every possible angle with google earth 3D lol, its an awesome tool no doubt! Also lean heavily on HuntStand, just got into OnX today and was surprised to find trails listed that I haven't seen anywhere else. Regardless I'm excited just to get out this year!
Thanks again!

over the past few years, D-14 has gotten very popular and crowded. Which is a real bummer to me. There’s 3 main areas people go. And people will pack them selfs in those areas. Are you planning on camping? How much are you realistically capable of hiking in a day.

over the past few years, D-14 has gotten very popular and crowded. Which is a real bummer to me. There’s 3 main areas people go. And people will pack them self's in those areas. Are you planning on camping? How much are you realistically capable of hiking in a day.
My plan is to hike in about 6 miles the day prior to the opener, hopefully glass from elev and find something to move on opening morning. This location will be at roughly 6000ft. My fear is that other hunters will likely do something similar, if this is the case I plan to gain elev in an effort to get some standoff from other hunters. I am a pretty fit & a capable hiker, not new to living out of a pack, as long as there is water (I expect there will be) I can sustain for 5 days, I've planned a roughly estimated route that if completed will cover roughly 23-25 miles (not including glassing positions, checking out area's, etc...). I had a similar plan for D11 last year but largely underestimated the terrain, trying not to make the same mistakes this year.

Could you advise area's that you'd recommend avoid due to the large number of hunters? Hope that its not where I plan to go lol.

D14 is tough. I can't imagine why it is popular. Try to hike away from roads would be my best advice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not sure why D14 is popular, I've choose to hunt D14 due to its proximity to my location (29 Palms). I'm keep my fingers crossed that pushing past the average hunter will increase my odds at success. I just have to figure out how far the average hunter is willing to go lol..

Not sure why D14 is popular, I've choose to hunt D14 due to its proximity to my location (29 Palms). I'm keep my fingers crossed that pushing past the average hunter will increase my odds at success. I just have to figure out how far the average hunter is willing to go lol..
The average hunter won't walk far, lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Many "hunters" road hunt in D14 or hunt in close proximity to the road. I would recommend sticking with your game plan and hiking in and if possible, hunt during the week.

Little story about D-14.....Back in 1963, there was no D-14.....You just hunted where ever you wanted per that season....Different areas/zones just opened at different times....You were allowed one buck, plus one in the A zone.

My dad, my uncles, and I were hunting ANF and we walked our asses off.....Even found a downed jet in a deep canyon that still had gunny sacks around it (kind of eerie)....Never saw a deer....Anyway, after we got back to the truck, we were driving back to our camp.....We had not driven more than a 1/4 mile and a nice forky crosses the road in front of us....I was in the back seat and I was the only one that had a gun readily available (Winchester Mod. 94, 32 special).....Thru a couple shells in, jumped out of truck, and ran up a little knoll.....The buck was still standing just below some brush and road.....One shot thru the neck put him down....I was the talk of the deer camp that night........lol

Little story about D-14.....Back in 1963, there was no D-14.....You just hunted where ever you wanted per that season....Different areas/zones just opened at different times....You were allowed one buck, plus one in the A zone.

My dad, my uncles, and I were hunting ANF and we walked our asses off.....Even found a downed jet in a deep canyon that still had gunny sacks around it (kind of eerie)....Never saw a deer....Anyway, after we got back to the truck, we were driving back to our camp.....We had not driven more than a 1/4 mile and a nice forky crosses the road in front of us....I was in the back seat and I was the only one that had a gun readily available (Winchester Mod. 94, 32 special).....Thru a couple shells in, jumped out of truck, and ran up a little knoll.....The buck was still standing just below some brush and road.....One shot thru the neck put him down....I was the talk of the deer camp that night........lol

I thought you told me you leaned up against the mirror and shot it out the window. I am confused now, was that a different story? 8*)

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Many "hunters" road hunt in D14 or hunt in close proximity to the road. I would recommend sticking with your game plan and hiking in and if possible, hunt during the week.

If all works out I'll go in just prior to the opener and stay deep for 4 to 5 days. It's still quite a ways out, and I'm currently out of the country lol but dang I am pumped up and ready to get in there!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu