New to waterfowl, looking for advice

rydethis

Aug 6, 2012
Hi,

So I would really like to go duck hunting this year, but a little confused on how and where. I was hoping to find a friend to go with or someone as this really interest me and I want to try it. I am confused on the lic part of it though, obviously you get a duck stamp and a fedral stamp...but what is this about the registration, etc. Where do I find that info, I have looked up info on Wister and jc, is the type A and SJ the registration they are talking about? Also is there a lottery at these places like Barret.
Please excuse me if I am asking dumb questions, just seems confusing and I am trying to budget for it. Any help would be great. I have always wanted to go and I ain't getting any younger. LOL

Ry,

A little confusing about what you're asking, but I think you're asking about state lottery for our waterfowling wildlife areas & refuges.....If you go to DFW's website (see link) you can put in for shoot days during the season via lottery.....Wed, Sat, & Sun.

You can either put in for the entire season or you can pick your days....For instance, I put in for every Wed & Sat....Costs about $35.00 for each area you apply for.

There's also a drawing/lottery the night before at Wister (starts at 10:30 pm) for guys that don't have reservations.....San Jacinto WA has their drawing the morning of the hunt.....Again, for folks who don't have reservations.....This is also called sweatlining it.

One other thing, this reservation does NOT include the cost of your shoot that day (about $20.00 without a season pass).

ps.......There are no dumb questions....... ;)

.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QFjAAahUKEwiuxcuYqcPHAhUNlogKHQFjAU4&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wildlife.ca.gov%2FHunting%2FWaterfowl&ei=AeXbVe7AAY2sogSBxoXwBA&usg=AFQjCNFRz7eVDZznCDq_WJ1mBmu1wBPiPQ&sig2=AibOiBkEyi-n6XPMu04BBg

ilovesprig said:
Ry,

A little confusing about what you're asking, but I think you're asking about state lottery for our waterfowling wildlife areas & refuges.....If you go to DFW's website (see link) you can put in for shoot days during the season via lottery.....Wed, Sat, & Sun.

You can either put in for the entire season or you can pick your days....For instance, I put in for every Wed & Sat....Costs about $35.00 for each area you apply for.

There's also a drawing/lottery the night before at Wister (starts at 10:30 pm) for guys that don't have reservations.....San Jacinto WA has their drawing the morning of the hunt.....Again, for folks who don't have reservations.....This is also called sweatlining it.

One other thing, this reservation does NOT include the cost of your shoot that day (about $20.00 without a season pass).

ps.......There are no dumb questions....... ;)

.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QFjAAahUKEwiuxcuYqcPHAhUNlogKHQFjAU4&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wildlife.ca.gov%2FHunting%2FWaterfowl&ei=AeXbVe7AAY2sogSBxoXwBA&usg=AFQjCNFRz7eVDZznCDq_WJ1mBmu1wBPiPQ&sig2=AibOiBkEyi-n6XPMu04BBg

Thank you, you put it more in prospective for me. So I get stamps, keep my eye on the dfg website and put in for a reservation (which I believe aren't available till mid September) and pick up a season pass. Correct? and the reservation is better way to go so I don't have to do last minute wait in line?

What if I don't get a reservation/lottery drawing. I can still go hunt, correct via sweat line like you said?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Let's start with the season long drawing......The odds are very slim.....If you get drawn 2 or 3 times for the entire season, you've done pretty good. Last year, I got drawn 3 times for Wister. The year before I got zero, but 2 for San J......That leaves the lotteries each shoot day.....With the exception of the opener, you can get on every shoot day at Wister. And even then you may be lucky enough to get a good draw.....During the season around 30% of the reservations show up for the 100+ blinds.....Opener is closer to 75%.....Wednesdays are you best odds by far.

San J is a different animal.....Lots of ressies show and only a few folks get on in the morning in the lottery. And those blinds that are not taken are normally pretty weak.....The lottery there is done the morning of the hunt and I would say 3/4 of the guys won't get on in the morning.

As far as your season pass.....If you plan on going at least 8 times, you'll break even on the cost ($158.00).....If you don't think you'll be going that much, then the next best thing is to buy the 2 day passes.

Like Steve said the season pass is a break even at 8 hunts, however, even if you might only go 5 or 6 times I think its worth it for the convince of not having to remember and then take the time to run over to your local sporting goods or wally world the day before you go to buy a day pass and it also allows you to do spur of the moment afternoon hunts when, for an example, a meeting is canceled or you just get a wild hair to go when you wake up in the morning. Also, you can do things like hunt say Wister in the morning and then, if you're driving home and can make San Jacinto before the 2 pm cutoff you could hunt there for no additional cost. Also, if you don't get drawn out of the bucket and you're far enough down on the list that you don't think you'll get a blind worth burning your day pass on if you has a season pass, since your already there, you can godhead and take a chance on a "marginal" spot that you might be reluctant to burn a day pass on since the season pass doesn't cost you any more if you go out. Just somethings to consider for the season pass vs. the day pass route.

fish dog said:
Like Steve said the season pass is a break even at 8 hunts, however, even if you might only go 5 or 6 times I think its worth it for the convince of not having to remember and then take the time to run over to your local sporting goods or wally world the day before you go to buy a day pass and it also allows you to do spur of the moment afternoon hunts when, for an example, a meeting is canceled or you just get a wild hair to go when you wake up in the morning. Also, you can do things like hunt say Wister in the morning and then, if you're driving home and can make San Jacinto before the 2 pm cutoff you could hunt there for no additional cost. Also, if you don't get drawn out of the bucket and you're far enough down on the list that you don't think you'll get a blind worth burning your day pass on if you has a season pass, since your already there, you can godhead and take a chance on a "marginal" spot that you might be reluctant to burn a day pass on since the season pass doesn't cost you any more if you go out. Just somethings to consider for the season pass vs. the day pass route.

All good points Eric......I might add that out at Wister once you leave, you're suppose to check out. During pheasant season it's nice to be able to go hunt doves & pheasant. Then come back to Wister to hunt ducks or geese.....With a season pass, this is done at no additional cost.

Attachments

• pheasant opener 2011 039.JPG
    pheasant opener 2011 039.JPG
    626.4 KB · Views: 30
Steve do each of the boys need a day pass type A this year since they are 16 or just Matt because he 18 all are on Jr licenses

Ahidog said:
Steve do each of the boys need a day pass type A this year since they are 16 or just Matt because he 18 all are on Jr licenses

Tom,

Only Matt needs the pass......The youth age limit is now 17......If Matt has a junior license, he's OK too.....Anyone over 16 does need a federal stamp though.

Thanks for all the info everyone...sheds a lot of light on how and what to do. I am not sure on the season pass as I am not sure how many days I will get a chance to go. I really want to try and see how I like it.
My main hunts this year will be Dove, Turkey and pig. No deer because I jumped back in to late to get a tag (next year) but I wanted to give duck a shot as well.
Always great info on here, again thanks for the help

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Here are your odds of being drawn.....Better than the state lotto....Barely..... :D

Attachments

• IMG_20150829_0001.jpg
    IMG_20150829_0001.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 30

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu