New upland hunter from San Diego

mazilla

Aug 11, 2013
San Jacinto
Hello all!

Mazilla here, I've been hunting upland game from San Diego thru Imperial County for about 6 years now. I happen to be born on 1 September so upland hunting, the dove opener especially, has become a tradition for me...something I'd like to continue until I'm too old to hunt(I'm 30 now).

Dove, pheasant, and quail are my go-to, although I did finally get my first deer tag this year and will be going out with my friends who have 30+ years experience hunting the region so I'm confident I'll at least get to watch one of them land something nice, haha.

I've also taken up my first hunting dog, the pup in my avatar is an (almost) 4 month old Wirehaired Pointing Griffon out of a kennel in Idaho. One of my hunting partners had the foresight to volunteer for the road trip, essentially securing himself a lifetime spot to hunt over "Jake"...smart move. I'm new to training hunting dogs although I have trained up plenty of companion dogs(mostly pitbulls) over the years. I'd love to get with some experienced bird-dog folks for some pointers/tips/etc(kinda the main reason I joined)...anywho, beer/soda/lunch is on me if anybody wants to get together for some training. ;D

I little background on myself.

I am a small business owner, I have a transportation company(courier) out of Los Angeles County. I'm also a licensed 07FFL although currently I am not doing business as such. I am an E4 in the CA State Military Reserve and serve as a volunteer State Military Police officer officially. I'm an NRA small arms instructor(rife/pistol) and a certified Range Safety Officer.

I look forward to my time here on this forum and getting to know other local hunters, CHEERS!

Hey Mazilla - after that post I feel like we have been friends for years. Nice job! And thank you for serving our country!!!

Welcome to SCH. If you get a chance, contact Snake Charmer (he runs highonkennels.com/). Fred and his wife Tracy are very good hunting dog trainers. Worth contacting them for sure.

Good looking pooch you got there, Griffs can be tough, feel free to give us a call and we'll tell you what we know. If you're up for it give us a p.m. and we'll set up an evaluation free of charge and tell you what we think.

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody!

Snake Charmer, I will definitely take you up on that offer...I'm going at this based on gut instinct at the moment.Thank you for offering your time, it is much appreciated!

Welcome!

Try NAVHDA for the dog training if you want to do it yourself they have a good chapter in SD but its so close to hunting season next Febuary will be a good time to join.

http://www.sandiegonavhda.com/

MJB said:
Welcome!

Try NAVHDA for the dog training if you want to do it yourself they have a good chapter in SD but its so close to hunting season next Febuary will be a good time to join.

http://www.sandiegonavhda.com/

Yes, I'll definitely be joining. I was actually going to wait until the end of the month as that is the start of their new billing cycle per their website and at least I'll get a full year of membership...even if it's slow.

Thanks for the link!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu