Newb looking for hunting partner in SD

LIike I said stop waiiting for folks to sell you into the wilds and just go and get out their. You will be Ok. The folks that are shouting mountains of gear are doing just that. A bottle of water and a good sense of direction will get it done. I live in the back country. P.M. me if you think I can help you in a better way.,. Who cares about a 22 or how far a 17 drops it's bs if you are starting out with no experinece. Finding a good mentor is the best way to go as far as gaining the proper perspective. A shotgun (20 gauge would be your best bet to get started and is not a bad way to get after turkeys. Just reach out and ask questions in the forum and you will be able to sort out quickly who know;s and who is just spouting what they think they know is best.

Deer has a lot of investment in time spent before you get payoff. So like you kinda also need to start trying the other kinds of hunting too so you're also learning more while you're out and about. And that way you'll also begin to get some successes that way, so it helps to re-motivate you to stay in the game for that deer long term. Cause you can see your skillset growing and improving and working. Like how you get better at determining where is the right place to sit at in an area to work the best for you. And how that changes depending on which species we're talking about also. Your Ears... your ears will start to learn what are the calls certain animals or birds make to alert the others of a threats presence. YOUR Presence. Or some other predators presence. Or sometimes it's a critter like a Tree Squirrel trying to act tough with you, like he's saying "The is MY Forrest, What are you doing by MY Tree Punk!" Making a ruckus tipping everybody else off to your presence. But after awhile he figures out you're not there to mess with him and he'll get bored of barkin' at ya finally and go somewhere else.

Reactions: Littlmama
Hey, @littlemama! Single gal here, too, just getting back into doing what I love - shooting, but this time with the added benefit of harvesting food. Grew up with a dad who hunted, but never got to go, but LOVED shooting from the age of 5. I've done a lot of solo hiking in the San Diego backcountry and love it. I carry a taser and pepper spray since guns aren't allowed in the state parks. Just be aware of your surroundings and trust your intuition. I always take a backpack with me with a fully stocked first aid kit, a water purifier and emergency rations.

I would love to get together with you, but I have weeends off, work full time and am taking 12 units in college, so time is very limited for me. We can figure something out, though. I'm up just a bit past Ramona on the 78. I'm brand new on here, too, btw.

Cheers!
Kat

Hey, @littlemama! Single gal here, too, just getting back into doing what I love - shooting, but this time with the added benefit of harvesting food. Grew up with a dad who hunted, but never got to go, but LOVED shooting from the age of 5. I've done a lot of solo hiking in the San Diego backcountry and love it. I carry a taser and pepper spray since guns aren't allowed in the state parks. Just be aware of your surroundings and trust your intuition. I always take a backpack with me with a fully stocked first aid kit, a water purifier and emergency rations.

I would love to get together with you, but I have weeends off, work full time and am taking 12 units in college, so time is very limited for me. We can figure something out, though. I'm up just a bit past Ramona on the 78. I'm brand new on here, too, btw.

Cheers!
Kat
Oh hi Kat! I would love to hike with you some time, ty. Maybe during a school break ☺

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Deer has a lot of investment in time spent before you get payoff. So like you kinda also need to start trying the other kinds of hunting too so you're also learning more while you're out and about. And that way you'll also begin to get some successes that way, so it helps to re-motivate you to stay in the game for that deer long term. Cause you can see your skillset growing and improving and working. Like how you get better at determining where is the right place to sit at in an area to work the best for you. And how that changes depending on which species we're talking about also. Your Ears... your ears will start to learn what are the calls certain animals or birds make to alert the others of a threats presence. YOUR Presence. Or some other predators presence. Or sometimes it's a critter like a Tree Squirrel trying to act tough with you, like he's saying "The is MY Forrest, What are you doing by MY Tree Punk!" Making a ruckus tipping everybody else off to your presence. But after awhile he figures out you're not there to mess with him and he'll get bored of barkin' at ya finally and go somewhere else.
Sounds so fun, I actually really love and appreciate the learning process, especially critters.... so fun to learn a new sport/ way of life!

I'll be honest you guys, all of this helps. Even the stuff that might be a bit too advanced or out of my price range at the moment. All the tips, eagerness to help a new hunter, & enthusiasm is contagious!

It's a little tougher with pellet rifle. But it is very douable.
I suggest an other tactic. Hike a little ways and the sit and wait for a while. 5-15 minutes. And watch, then hike and do it again. Patience.
Work the daylight and evening hours.
Middle of the days slows down, and they back in their burrows..
Try rabbit distress calls, fairly cheap.
It will so.etimes draw them in
I like using cheap hollow point pellets.
Remember any thing else other than pellet rifle must be non lead ammo.

Have family with shotguns? Just saying.
Plenty of cheap used shotguns out there.
Before buying something ask here.
But a warning every one has their favorites. But every one has good advice.

P.S. the reason I said to sit is cottontail rabbits are creature of habit. They will circle and return. Jack rabbit will beat feet way out. So those guys just keep running. Pretty much public land they are use to been hunted. So that is why shotguns works better. However it's can be done with pellet rifle if you take you time and walk very slow. And stalk them.
Sit and wait. Look for sparse low brushy areas side of hills, and low areas. Look for rabbit pellets(rabbit dung) and tracks. Look at what is open in CFFW rules. Jack's are open all year.

Last edited:
I'll be honest you guys, all of this helps. Even the stuff that might be a bit too advanced or out of my price range at the moment. All the tips, eagerness to help a new hunter, & enthusiasm is contagious!
As others have mentioned, investing in a shotgun will open up many opportunities, with dove and rabbit being great examples of fun ways to break into the sport. You'll also be more successful with a shotgun which will keep you and your son motivated to stick with it. There's lots of decent affordable shotguns these days.. sometimes you'll see a new 870 Express on sale for under $300, etc.

I suggest an other tactic. Hike a little ways and the sit and wait for a while. 5-15 minutes. And watch, then hike and do it again. Patience.

P.S. the reason I said to sit is cottontail rabbits are creature of habit. They will circle and return. Jack rabbit will beat feet way out. So those guys just keep running. Pretty much public land they are use to been hunted. So that is why shotguns works better. However it's can be done with pellet rifle if you take you time and walk very slow. And stalk them.
Sit and wait. Look for sparse low brushy areas side of hills, and low areas. Look for rabbit pellets(rabbit dung) and tracks. Look at what is open in CFFW rules. Jack's are open all year.

Last edited:

These are great tips, I will try this Monday. Went out again today/ different spot, but did not see many (I think I was moving/walking around to much.) I will try your suggestion, thanks! Sorry for double posting, seems the site is glitching

Getting out there often and putting miles on the ground like you seem to be doing is probably one of the better ways to learn.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu