Newbe Andy in La Mesa

Andy599

619-204-2325
Aug 26, 2012
La Mesa
Ok so I have never gotten around to introducing my self to the group so here it is. I'm Andy, I was born and raised in La Mesa CA, went to Helix High and well I guess I never really moved too far from the place I call home. I did however spend a few years in Alaska ( Best place in the world!! ) on a Mission for my church. I would love to live there if I could just figure out what I would do to make a living....I have a finish carpentry business here already which would be hard to continue in Alaska the way is is here. My wife is totally on board but the whole work thing is the big stumbling block, we have been there a couple of times since we have been married and absolutely love it there. So I love living here in San Diego but the growing hunter in me really wants to be where amazing hunting is almost in my backyard. I got interested in fire arms about 4 years ago and bought my first gun, a Mossberg shotgun, then a .22 , Remington 700 ss 5r. .308 (my baby) Springfield XD 9mm, Winchester 94 30-30 (tons of fun with this one) and then a few more .22s for the kids. I work with a local boy scout troop and we take them shooting once a year so I took my RSO NRA training, rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor course that way we can run our own BSA range for the boys. Needless to say I'm a little hooked, and lucky for me my wife loves to shoot as well. Date night with my wife regularly consists of shooting our 9mm at the indoor range, I really wanted my wife to be comfortable with our handgun. So for the past couple of years I have been really focusing on long range target shooting and loading my own ammo for that purpose, it's been a challenge and I have learned a lot from the guys at Fine Fire Arms. It's really a blast to engage targets out to 1000 yards with my .308 and have even gotten my wife out that far with it as well. Now that I have a little bit of experience under my belt, I am ready to move on to hunting, which I know almost nothing about. I have tried turkey hunting a couple of times with no luck and want to get into calling coyotes,bobcat,fox ect. I am getting my foxpro in a few days and am looking forward to using it and honing my skills on moving targets. I'm not sure where to go yet to hunt these guys but I am planning on joining the SD predators club and figuring it out. So that's me in a nut shell and am looking forward to meeting new local hunters and learning lots more.

Hey Andy,

Glad you took the next step with your 1st post. You are heading in the right direction!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu