Newbie Question about Preference Points

frozenoak

Mar 24, 2023
Lake Elsinore, CA
When I apply for tags this, my first, year, it is highly unlikely that I will draw an elk, sheep, or antelope tag. During the draw, do I state where I want to hunt, if awarded? And, probably more importantly, are my points only for that area?

For example, if I apply for an Elk tag in the new area 18 and am unsuccessful, then next year, area 18 goes away or I change my mind, do I retain the preference point if I apply for a different area?

Thanks in advance,
Dale

When I apply for tags this, my first, year, it is highly unlikely that I will draw an elk, sheep, or antelope tag. During the draw, do I state where I want to hunt, if awarded? And, probably more importantly, are my points only for that area?

For example, if I apply for an Elk tag in the new area 18 and am unsuccessful, then next year, area 18 goes away or I change my mind, do I retain the preference point if I apply for a different area?

Thanks in advance,
Dale
Yes, you apply per species per hunt area, but preference points build up per species if you don't draw.

Reactions: 180ls1
Yeah, you got it. You put in for a specific area and a specific hunt. Assuming you don't draw that tag/hunt then you build a point. Those point(s) are good for the same area or a different area, the points are attached to the species, not the hunt.

I could be wrong about this, since I don't do points...But this year, DON'T put in for D-16 as your 1st choice, if you have points....The "16" is a PREMIUM tag....... :joy: :joy: :joy:

.IMG_9016.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: aeverett152
For Sheep, Elk, Antelope, you either have Max points or no points. So you will have to compete for whatever random tags exist for those species in any given Zone. For example; if there are 4 sheep tags available for a Zone, three (3) will go to Max Point holders and one (1) will go random for everyone else, including Max Point holders. Max point holders compete for random tags too.

you do not have to worry about getting a elk, sheep or speed goat tag. Just start building points!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info. I don’t expect to get elk, antelope, or sheep for the next 20 years but I wanted to make sure I wasn’t locked into an area. For deer, I’m thinking D16 first, then D15, then Camp Pendleton (G11?). I still don’t know if I’ll have access to the base come hunting season.

Thanks for the info. I don’t expect to get elk, antelope, or sheep for the next 20 years but I wanted to make sure I wasn’t locked into an area. For deer, I’m thinking D16 first, then D15, then Camp Pendleton (G11?). I still don’t know if I’ll have access to the base come hunting season.
G10 on the Deer Zone map for Pendleton (For information on the G10 hunt tag contact the Camp Pendleton Marine Corp Base at (760) 725-3360). If you are active duty, you should be okay.
Big Game Digest didn't have D16 in draw statistics, however it is Premium Tag this year. You might be able to get it on 2nd choice if you don't want to burn a point. D15 is an OTC tag and can be used in D11 and D13 as well.

G10 on the Deer Zone map for Pendleton (For information on the G10 hunt tag contact the Camp Pendleton Marine Corp Base at (760) 725-3360). If you are active duty, you should be okay.
Big Game Digest didn't have D16 in draw statistics, however it is Premium Tag this year. You might be able to get it on 2nd choice if you don't want to burn a point. D15 is an OTC tag and can be used in D11 and D13 as well.
Thanks again for the reply. I'm not an active Marine but I do have a 60% service connected disability rating from the VA. I believe this may grant me access to the base, but I need to confirm and get that ball rolling. I'll use the number you supplied, it looks like a good place to start.

This is my first year hunting in California. I must not understand the draw system. My purpose of selecting D16 is to get a point, if I'm not selected, not burn one. I have no points. I have to purchase my hunting license in person as I will be applying as a disabled vet, so I will inquire about the draw system before I fill out any paperwork. I hope they have helpful rangers at the station.

In any case, My primary focus will be in D15. I will do most of my scouting there until opening day as I have easy access to many of the public spaces. D16 is the greater challenge because I don't know the area as well. I will do some scouting near Julian as the wife an I like to hang out up there from time to time. D19 is also of some interest but I have decided to put that off until I've had some success in a less challenging (but not easy) zone.

Thanks again for the reply. I'm not an active Marine but I do have a 60% service connected disability rating from the VA. I believe this may grant me access to the base, but I need to confirm and get that ball rolling. I'll use the number you supplied, it looks like a good place to start.

This is my first year hunting in California. I must not understand the draw system. My purpose of selecting D16 is to get a point, if I'm not selected, not burn one. I have no points. I have to purchase my hunting license in person as I will be applying as a disabled vet, so I will inquire about the draw system before I fill out any paperwork. I hope they have helpful rangers at the station.

In any case, My primary focus will be in D15. I will do most of my scouting there until opening day as I have easy access to many of the public spaces. D16 is the greater challenge because I don't know the area as well. I will do some scouting near Julian as the wife an I like to hang out up there from time to time. D19 is also of some interest but I have decided to put that off until I've had some success in a less challenging (but not easy) zone.

If you put d16 first you will get the tag and you won't get a point.

frozenoak, go online and apply for your DA Vet status it is faster and you don't have to wait until your ready to purchase your license. It can take them a week or two to process your application. They will need a copy of your VA award letter showing your rating. When I did mine I was lucky as I worked with the program director and had my approval in a day. He is also a hunter if he is still there we talked hunting for an hour or so lol. But that is not the norm. License is discounted but tags are not. Just so you know.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I opted for D16 as my first tag. I don’t have any points to burn, so I figured, why not. I’ll pull D15 or G10 closer to the season depending on whether I can get access to the base, or not. I applied for the other game mammals but hold little hope of getting any of them.

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu