Newebie needs help!

NZHunter

Oct 27, 2012
Hey guys just recently moved to socal from nz, just got my first compound bow and im hooked, so im looking forward to the next hunting season!! Just wanted some info on the tagging draw etc had a brief look through trhe dfg website but someone might be able to put the tagging system in lamen terms for me!! One other thing hunting with a bow in socal i heard there is quite a long season? and is the Archery only tag something you can buy over the counter or do you have to go into a draw? Any help would be appreciated thanks Rich

couple pics from nz for ya

IMG_4062800x600_zpsf0bd7e0e.jpg

2 little piggies and a red stag

IMG_1546.jpg

Lazy way of getting into the back country

Awesome! The tag system here is really easy. What parts of NZ? I have family in wanganui and have hunted on the north island a few times.

No worries NZHunter. If you are archery only and your hunting San Diego then look at A-22, and AO. If your gonna rifle and bow hunt then look at A-22 and D-16 That will put you in the woods the longest. Almost early Sept through end of Dec. You will have a little break in the middle. If your LA area there is a bunch of guys around here that will pick this thread up. Oh and Im sure you already figured out that your woods look a little different then ours.

Oh and Im sure you already figured out that your woods look a little different then ours.

Our helicopters are a little different too! ;)

Welcome aboard!

Maybe if you play your cards right you can hop aboard the helo the other NZ guys will be on blasting pigs for DFG here pretty soon. Haha! They're getting paid to do it too.

Matagi said:
Awesome! The tag system here is really easy. What parts of NZ? I have family in wanganui and have hunted on the north island a few times.

Glad its easy just a bit of a new system for me, used to the open season haha,
little town called matamata, its in the central north island. Prob 5 hours from wanganui

Invisible man said:
No worries NZHunter. If you are archery only and your hunting San Diego then look at A-22, and AO. If your gonna rifle and bow hunt then look at A-22 and D-16 That will put you in the woods the longest. Almost early Sept through end of Dec. You will have a little break in the middle. If your LA area there is a bunch of guys around here that will pick this thread up. Oh and Im sure you already figured out that your woods look a little different then ours.

Cheers for the reply, i am in los Angelas area, don't mind driving down San Diego way though, its good to get out and about!!
And yep just a little different :)

SoCalRebelHunter said:
Welcome aboard!

Maybe if you play your cards right you can hop aboard the helo the other NZ guys will be on blasting pigs for DFG here pretty soon. Haha! They're getting paid to do it too.

Sounds like my kinda job where can i sign up? ;)

Anyone had any luck bear hunting in socal? Or are most of the population up north? dont find them in the woods back home

NZHunter said:
Anyone had any luck bear hunting in socal? Or are most of the population up north? dont find them in the woods back home

I know of a lot of people taking bears out of the Angeles National Forest north of LA. Where exactly? I have no idea. But I have a friend who's a CHP up there and he's seen them when he's been out deer hunting. I'd say the majority, though, are taken up north. Trinity and Siskiyou counties have excellent take numbers but it's work for sure.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu