Newest toy is looking good

Bonejour

Rut - Me worry?
Jan 27, 2013
Just to be clear, I have tremendous respect for those of you capable of building your own long range rifles. I am not, but I am learning as I go. I am very fortunate to be able to buy great equipment off the shelf, and to have a local gun shop to help me find and install top notch optics, etc.
So here is my latest find: Sako 85 S Grey Wolf in .260. (You guessed right, I bought it from Fine Firearms ). Talley rings and bases, and Bushnell Elite LRHS 3-12x scope.
Based on recent discussions, I decided just to sight it in with no break-in period. I was careful not to overheat the barrel, but otherwise just ran a patch through the barrel before taking it to the range this past weekend. Believe it or not, that target shows a 3-round group, rounds 11-13 through the barrel. 142gr Federal Premium Sierra Matchking factory loads. Yes my friends, I have drunk the Koolaid.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456846770.998929.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456846770.998929.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 45
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456846804.279340.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456846804.279340.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456846825.273445.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456846825.273445.jpg
    671.2 KB · Views: 48
Nice Don! I hope to see that gun at the shoot and get you out to 1000 with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks gentlemen. Garrett, I'm planning to bring both the 260 and the 7mag to see how they (and I) do that far out.

Bonejour said:
Thanks gentlemen. Garrett, I'm planning to bring both the 260 and the 7mag to see how they (and I) do that far out.

You should have no problem hitting the 1000 yard 10" gong

Taft, 40 minutes west of Bakersfield. March 19th. There are more details in the calendar events section.

TaftHunter said:
Taft, 40 minutes west of Bakersfield. March 19th. There are more details in the calendar events section.

Need to speedup the building process then ... ;)

Don - I'm impressed. That is just truly amazing to see a factory rifle shooting factory ammo produce a ragged hole like that. It is so rare to see, let alone have the opportunity to own a gun that shoots like that. Most people pay $5K - $6K for a gun that yields your results!

Glad you drank the Kool-aid, you are one lucky guy. Rah Rah Rah - Go Sako - Go .260!

Do ya' think a rifle like that boosts the confidence? It's killing time!

ilovesprig said:
Nice Don.....I feel kind of inadequate owning only 2 center fires...... ;D
I know how you feel Steve; I own just one shotgun ;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu